Too much? IMAGE REMOVED

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Bob Coutant, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I processed this one in several different ways, experimenting mainly with lightness, saturation, and blur. The original was shot under a heavily overcast sky and had a dull dreary appearance. Did I take this version too far? Or, would you have brushed in some additional lightening in, say, in the yellows? Or, maybe something else? :confused:

THANKS FOLKS -- THIS ONE'S BEEN BURIED

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005
  2. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Bob

I am new to this forum having spent some time in retouching at dpreview.

For me I like this type of processing - I dont think it is too much.

I like to see the colours coming out and this looks superb.

You may try some paint with light but otherwise I think it is superb - personaly would leave as is - just needs a nice frame and a wall.

Best wishes

Ray

ps also a candidate for deep paint - that would look good imo

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Had a try

Hi Bob

I hope I am not out of order here but I had a go a your shot as it is just so nice and rich.

I tended to do as you said and brought out yellows but also added a sky as well etc.

Did some PWL to bring out other colours and also applied an overlay layer and reduced opacity to richen the colours.

I know you wondered about going too far - perhaps I have.

Tell me what you thin.

By the way, not sure if it the done thinge here so if I have posted and should not have done I will of course delete immediately.

Best Wishes

Ray

[​IMG] [/IMG]

4. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Ray. I rather enjoy post processing, but I don't like images like this one where I don't have a clear concept of the end point -- I spend too much time spinning my wheels. If it were not raining, I'd go back outside and shoot it again.

5. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks again Ray! I like the sky addition -- I had tried that, but my "sky folder" didn't have quite the right one. I'm still vacillating over brightness and saturation -- I guess the real problem lies within my head.

6. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Bob

Yes, I take your point but still like your shot.

You seem to have captured a real depth of colour - beautiful.

Best wishes

Ray

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bob fabulous image!!!

Ray great retouch.
    Looks perfect. Needed a sky :>))

8. Ray, how did you add the sky? I wish I knew how to do that.

9. Teach us - Wise one! How did you mask out the sky and leave all the little leaves and such ?

10. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Scott

Adding the sky was not hard .

Rather than try to explain everything as I am getting ready for a holiday tomorrow here is a quick outline.

What you need to do is to create a mask so that you can keep only the parts of the picture that are not sky. You are going to replace the sky so you need to get rid of what is there - but how to do it?

Do a google search for Russell Brown's advanced masking technique and you will download a video. Russell Brown is "the" Photoshop man.

Just type in his name and you will get to his website and it will be there.

In short what you do is to create a b/w image and pick the channel RGB which provides most constrast.

Then copy it as a new layer into channels.

You create that contrast using Painting with light etc and other tricks such as dodge, burn and also paint in black and white areas which are not difficult to do.

Then you select to save the image as a selection and drop it back intoi the normal layers.

Then you get rid of the sky.

Poick another sky and put it as a layer beneath the original and hey presto.

However, you need to watch the video as my outline is so brief you will not work from it Scott.

When back from holiday on 1 November if you still have a problem then drop me an e mail at home and I weill try to assist.

I hope that helps and you will love the technique as it can be used for so many things.

Best wishes

Ray

dont forget Google ......Russell brown

11. Thanks Ray, have a nice holiday. I'll check out the Russell Brown video.

12. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    As Ray has pointed out, using an extracted channel as a mask can be extremely useful, especially when the required mask has very complex and detailed edges. After all, an extracted channel is an exact replicate of spatial features of the image. I’m not a Photoshopper, so I’m not sure of all options available in PS, but, if you can look at luminance; or the H, S, and V channels in the HSV color model; or H, S, and L in the HSL model; or even monochrome conversions, there’s quite a number (in addition to R, G, and B) of slightly different channels that can serve as ready made masks. Pick the one that best suits the needs of the particular image and tweak it, if necessary. [H and S channels are useful less frequently than the others, but the S channel, in either model, has some very useful special applications.]