Too much lens

When in close, how often does this happen to you? I hate it when it happens to me. Missed the action all together.

78808301.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

fks

hi tyrone-

i like the shot, there's all that tension in his body as he's trying to break out of the frame.

sometimes when i'm editing shots, i'll come across an accidental, very close crop when i view images at 1:1. it'll be really tight, but in the end i like the shot.

ricky

I have a lot of shots that are too close in, and I missed the action. I don't think that is the case here. I actually think this is a good shot. It works for me.

no such thing.
You cannot get every shot unless you shoot WAY too wide and crop everything.

If you are shooting super tight, don;t need to crop in general and blow a bunch you are doing the right thing. Those that you don;t blow are going to be markedly better.

This shot is fine

The only reason to ever yshoot loose is if say you work for a newspaper where you MUST get every important shot/thing that happens. If you are shooting for yourself, for portraits/stock, or for a client like and athlete or school, you want to shoot tight.

T

topher04r1

ty, its ok man .... when this happens just get the face and torso .... trust me it will look good ....

B

BigPixel

Man, I think its a terrific shot. The fact that various elements are cropped all sides brings us in, accentuates the drama, brings us close to the action. Add great exposure and color, eye contact with the bsll....well; I don't know what you feel you missed.

Ty I agree with everyone else, while I have definitely lost shots due to too much lens, I don't think that is the case here.

To my way of thinking there is action here in the accepting of, or distribution of the ball. Plenty of intensity, bodyshape and color in the shot, only minor complaint from me is left arm is missing.
Brooks

Real Name
Randy
it happens to all of us that use long primes....
my philosophy is you are gonna miss the far away shots w/ the 70-200 or the close shots w/ the 300mm so just accept it...
i don't fire when they get too close or 2 far away

J

JMartin

I am with the others here, I like the shot.

The intensity in his face and his body position add to the drama of the shot.

Another vote that in this case the shot works.

If you're seriously concerned about missing shots may I suggest a second body with the 70-200. A D200 works very well in this role.

Don

Ty I like it and I know what you mean but sometimes when going through the pics the ones you thought while shooting as too tight are just fine. You may loose some frames due to being to close but I feel in sports to close is way better that too loose
Dons suggestion is the best solution

The shot is still pretty good Ty....If you really don't like all that reach just
send that lens down here my friend...I'll just take it so you don't have to
"struggle" with it.....ha ha ha

:biggrin:

All your shots are good man...Keep it up

Ty, I like the shot. this situation is new for me. it's the first time I've been using my 300 f4, instead of my 80-200 2.8. while a few me be a little tight, the longer reach in the other 95% or more, makes up for it.

I take the 80-200 with me, but so far the only time I switched to it, was when the sun was getting low, and I needed the extra stop.

gvk

I agree with Don, Mike, Rod and other earlier posters who commented about preference for tight sports shots. Since getting a 300 mm I have been doing a lot of these shots that isolate a single athlete with a tight crop. However, I now find myself switching back to the 70-200 more often to avoid always getting the same type of shots. At a recent track meet I used the 70-200 for all running events, and that allowed more variety with group shots of the starts and the pack of runners during middle distance events, wide shots of sprints and hurdles, etc. I was close enough to the track that 200 mm was enough for some tight shots of single runners. I had to be more careful to avoid busy backgrounds due to increased DOF with shorter focal length. I switched back to the 300 mm for the field events.

Back in the film days I always carried two bodies with different lenses (and sometimes even different film), but I rarely used zooms back then. I have not been doing that with digital, but I may in the future.

In my personal shooting style, there is no such thing as too much glass. Just change the composition. Plus look at the bright side. No cropping to worry about. I've been lazy lately and have just been shooting lax with a single body and lens-400/2.8. It could work and it certainly did in this case for you. You just have to live with a few missing body parts. Uncropped out of the camera.

070512-0444.jpg

070512-1219.jpg

Another vote that in this case the shot works.

If you're seriously concerned about missing shots may I suggest a second body with the 70-200. A D200 works very well in this role.

Don

I like the shots out of a D200. My only beef with that camera is you cannot lock the shutter and aperture so as a 2nd body hanging on the side you always end up moving the aperture or shutter. Yes you can tape it down but it's just not ideal.

Hey thanks a bunch everyone. I appreciate all of the comments which it seems lean towards the positive end of this image being a keeper. One of the reasons I bought the 300mm prime was to isolate individuals within the frame making the composition more dynamic in what I like shooting which is sports. My issue with this particular shot was that I had just missed the header and of course his whole arm is cut off in the shot. Aside from that the contortion of his body and the emotion on his face I suppose it does indeed render this as a keeper. I just wish I had at least caught his entire head in the shot.

Again thanks so much for all of the positive comments.

Latest threads

Top Bottom