Took my 300 f4 to the Eagle's nest to try it out

Discussion in 'Birds' started by nipprdog, May 1, 2007.

1. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    I'm about a week late im posting this, but here goes. just got a sweet deal on a Nikon 300 f4 ED. used, but excellent condition. got it from fellow member 'dragonflydm'. good man to do business with, btw.

drove down to the nest the other day after work. in my eagerness, I screwed up. one, I forgot my 1.4 converter. two, when I went to turn the ISO from 400 down to 200, I mistakingly turned it up to 800.:Angry: :rolleyes: :Angry: :rolleyes: anyway, the test proved what I wanted to know the most. that this is one sharp lens! I had some 8x12s printed. in spite of the iso 800, they look great. can't wait to see what they'll look like at iso 200. heres a few;

DSC_4316pw2.

100% crop

DSC_4316pw2cr.

appears to be only one eaglet this season. last year there were three.

DSC_4253pw.

100% crop

DSC_4253pcopy.

can't wait ti try it at little league soon.

much better at ISO 200

DSC_0072copyw.

2. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Great shots, Jim. It looks like you got a great lens.

3. GGGRRRRRR! I'm totally GREEN! I wish I could find an eagle around here! Beautiful photos anyway! :tongue: :biggrin: Nice lens too!

4. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    There's no question about the sharpness of the lens for sure. Very impressive. I think you are going to have a heckuva combo to work with. Looking forward to seeing more eagles!

5. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thanks, Rex.

6. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN

Thanks, but don't be too green, Dianne. you have an AF'S'. :biggrin:

7. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN

Thanks, Andy. definetely want to go back to the eagle's nest with it. but I also want to take to some friends land that has a barred owl family of whom I shot this pic of last years baby

DSC_4756w.

maybe I can catch one of the adults.

8. Is there anything better than a new lens? Especially one that was a good deal, great shots.

9. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thanks, JR. actually, I also got a good deal from my local camera shop on their last D50 body. so, for less than what I would have spent on a D80 body(I've been wanting another body), I was able to get the 300, and another D50 body. :biggrin: :biggrin:

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Great shots Jim...it's good to see how the 300 f/4 performs with the D50. I have been pondering getting this lens for a while now...

11. Jim These are really good looking photos for a 300mm lens. Just how close are you to the nest? If you are closer than about 350 to 400 feet you could be breaking the law as this is classified as human disturbance. You say last year this nest produced triplets and only one this year, well this could be from several reasons from the weather to disturbance or an infertle egg/eggs which may still be in the bowl of the nest. Not trying to break chops but just like to spread the word about eagles nesting here in the US and there protection as many people do not realize there are such laws. Again these are very nice photos.
    Lou
    Please see my web page called Still Soaring link is on the left side of my home page
    www.loubuscher.com