Took out the scope last night...

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Chris101, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I shot through the 6mm orthoscopic eyepiece of my 6 inch dobsonian reflecting telescope last night to obtain this image of Jupiter:

jupe040805.

(I confess, I used the 950 again - it attaches to my eyepiece exactly! This is actually three images laid over each other and blended to average the noise caused by the moving earthly atmosphere. I also take images with the D100 through a different telescope, but that scope weighs 200 pounds, so I didn't feel like pulling it out onto the porch last night.)

2. Interesting how you can see the rings.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Gordon,

On Jupiter they call the light and dark lines 'bands' and they are quite visible through a six inch scope. The 'seeing' last night was terrific - that is, the atmosphere was still and a lot of detail was apparent. See the bright band just to the right of the center dark band? The mottled appearance (not the photo noise though) is caused by a lot of storms on the face of jupiter. It's always active, yet the seeing is often not good enough to allow any sign of the storm activity to be photographed.

There was however, no sign of the 'Great Red Spot', a huge storm that has lasted for centuries. It must've been on the back side.

Thanks again for looking at this kind of night photos. :)