Tools for stitching panorama pictures?? :confused:

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Rbid, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Hello,

I was a happy user of Panorama Maker, but now on my vacation in Iguazu, I got up to the limits of this tool (Number of pictures on a single pano) and I'm looking for a new tool.

I would like automatic exposure correction and automatic lens detection.

Do you have any advice about it?:confused:
    • What software tools you advice for stitching large images
    • What tools to avoid

Thanks in advance

2. mikeyd86

mikeyd86 Guest

I've used photomerge in photoshop and it works wonders for me.

3. Yes, I know this tool.. but the results that I got were not as satisfactory as with Panorama Maker from ArcSoft. (http://www.arcsoft.com/).

The problem with the version of Panorama Maker I have is that is limited to a number of pictures that you can use on a panoramic view. (I have more than 24 pictures from the Iguazu Falls).. with Photoshop, it is hard to move if you don't have enough memory to open all the 24 pictures to build the stitch..

4. You haven't said whether you're using a PC or a Mac. I've had good results from Autostitch but it seems to only be available for the PC.

Ronnie

5. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

If your using OSX, you might want to check out DoubleTake. Its nice and easy to use and I have yet to be disappointed by the results.

6. I totally second that comment. I have used it on a few occasions - I rarely do panoramas - and I have had very good results.

You can see a fine example right here.

7. PTGui is a great alternative as is CS3 now

8. I second PTGui - I've been stitching panos for years, have tried all sorts of software, and PTGui is now the only one I use. It can stitch multiple rows, it seems to do exposure adjustments, you can change the pitch and yaw if you want.
    I love it.

9. Rickey,

Pano software can provoke near religious reactions in some fora:eek: , so with that in mind, here are a couple of suggestions, which are far from complete. These were primarily driven by my budget at the time, but I think the results have been more than satisfactory.

Try PTGUI at www.ptgui.com. A highly rated programme, it does a very good job of automatically stitching pano's, both single and multi row, automatically. At the same time, it has some very useful manual controls, which can be critical for a successful shot.

This pano required very little intervention:

original.

Another option is Panorama Factory. It has good automatic and manual controls, and did a better job on this image than PTGUI.

original.

Both pano's were taken hand held BTW.

Both are , IMHO, reasonably priced, and my observation is that once the pano bug bites, you'll probably end up with at least two programs to cover off all eventualities, since no single programme seems to do everything.

Pano's are a lot fun and the extra investment in some good software is worth it.

10. Excellent job on those two, Mark!!! Well done. Funny how looking at a pano of a vacation can put you right back there, isn't it? Either snow covered mountains or turquoise waters lapping on white sand... :biggrin:

11. PC by now. (No Mac or UNIX/Linux in sight :frown:)

12. Is PTGui a stand alone tool, or it is just a front end for other tools?

13. Thanks, I will check it when I will return from my vacation here in South America, where Internet is slooooooooow. I found ArcSoft Panorama Maker that is limited in the number of pictures you can stitch.

14. How does photomerge in CS3 compare to PTGui?

Regards,

Paul.

15. Wow, great stitch.

Do you have any advice when taking pictures for a pano?

• I usually overlap 1/2 of the frame.. but IMHO even 1/4 is enough.
    • The lens that I use are between 18mm to 70mm
    • Also hand held camera although a tripode will help a lot.. but I don't carry my heavy tripod to every trek I do.

16. Ricky,

I try to overlap about 25-30% on each shot.

Portrait orientation can also be very good for the near/middle/far depth.

I've used primarily the wider angles, but any lenght suitable for your subject could be used.

And I agree that a tripod can help make them even better, but I too don't carry my tripod everywhere (usually just a monopod if I take it, but I need to invest in a new tripod in any event).

The best advice I can give is to experiment. The same guidelines that you might apply to a landscape shot also apply, just over a sequence of images (which means you have to think that the pano software, when stitching it, might not place the horizon where you did.)

Photoshop's Photomerge is also a good tool, however packages like PTGUI and Panoroma Factory do make it easier, IMHO, especially if you're stitching a lot of images.

17. Thanks for the tips.

I found the diffetent tools require a different overlap.. therefore I was using 50% which is sometimes over overlapping. With ArcSoft Panorama Maker, it is enough a 30% as you indicated..

The best panorama pictures I had were @ 70mm using the camer in portrait orientation, it took +/- 30 pictures for a stitch of 270degrees.. which ArcSoft Panorama Maker could not support due to the amount of pictures :mad:

True, The hardest part is to keep the camera straight, no matter if the panorama is horizontal or vertical.

Question: is it possible to do non-vertical or non-horizontal stitches with PTGui?

My experience with Photomerge is that if you don´t have exact exposition among the pictures, you may get regions that you notice the stitch, also it dis not work with all the focal distances... maybe because I did not have the knowledge/experience with the tool. I seldom use Photoshop (I have CS only).

18. PTGui will compensate for different exposures, I've used all the way from 200mm down to 12mm with full success. It also is great because you can create match-points where the program is having a difficult time. It will autocorrect crooked horizons so no need for tripod. I've re-done all my panos using it and see a great improvement.
    Everyone seems to have their own favourite program for panos.

Rick if you can upload some pics for a non-horizontal or non-vertical stitch and I can give it a try for you.

19. Here's a demo of a pano engine. The demo is functional and will output full size images when the right settings are used. Toward the bottom of the page are links to software packages that utilize this engine.

They show a pano on the demo page stitched from 57 images.

Might be something you that would interest you.

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

20. Thanks Sandi.

I will upload them when I will be back at home. Currently I'm in South America and here internet is s-l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-w. (Even this page took more than 20sec to load).

Yes, I saw that pano programs are like religions.. you get used to one and it is difficult to switch.

I will drop you a note before uploading the pictures :)