Tootin My Horn

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by BigPixel, May 11, 2007.

1. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I usually don't do this sort of thing but I think Chris and a few other West Coasters might find this as exciting as me.

There's a big annual juried show here at the Honolulu Academy of Art called Artists of Hawaii. People salivate over being included. In a small place like Hawaii where you're constantly battling the cliched image, getting something in to this show is a big deal.

This year there were 901 entries and 77 were selected. I got two in, one a gorked out cellphone cam image that I have posted here in the past.

The juror was Russell Ferguson, former Curator of Contemporary Art at the Hammer Gallery, LA and now head of the Art Dept at UCLA.

Anyway, no attaboys or congrats expected; I just wanted to pass along my total amazement and amusement that someone in a position of authority in the 'Art World' saw something interesting in a 12k cell phone image that will be printed 24"x36". My faith in the arts establishment has been revived....(wink)

2. OK, but how about kudos or props? Seriously, HulaMan, you should be proud. Wish I could have seen the show.

Speaking of being proud, who's the lovely lady who's now sharing your avatar?

3. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Why that's Karen, my fiance. Thanks for asking.

btw, the show opens June 7th. You have time to get here to see it....(wink)

Before someone asks, I posted this here as I consider this forum to be the place where experimental work reigns. Neither image I got in was film.

4. Well I'm going to congratulate you whether you want it or not :)

Well done, it sounds like quite an achievement, announced with a becoming modesty. ;-)

5. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I know. That troubles me somewhat....Maybe age does bring a certain assurance that doesn't require constant adulation. And besides, any artist whose ever entered a juried show understands that getting in doesn't really mean anything. Its just the vagery of the moment as one person saw it. Tomorrow, another juror might have laughed at my submission.

6. Congratulations, Mike :smile: !

...even if it's for a "cellphone shot" :rolleyes: !

...that's the problem with ART: who decide what's good or bad ? why something that would have taken the "artist" to the mad-house a hundred years ago might make him a multi-millionnaire now ?

Don't you think Picasso, Dali or Andy Warhol wouldn't have been burned on a public place 200 years ago ?

Well, i guess isn't a definite thing, so..... take advantage of your cellphone :tongue: !

Cheers,
    J-P.

PS. After more thinking, i guess you DESERVED to be selected, if only by the courage (?) to submit an image from a cellphone to a jury ! ...and perhaps the jury itself deserved what it received :confused: !?!

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

That's true JP but the cellphone stuff I've been doing is sort of a defining thing. I'm from the Warholl era actually and the whole irreverant Pop Art movement. There was just something so wonderful about the 60's artists poking fun at the establishment and making careers off that.

Anyway, one of the images I got in is sort of challenging from a purist point of view, the other is more or less a straight shot of an urban scene. I think its interesting that the juror chose one straight shot and one more or less on the fringe. I take that as a compliment although I have no earthly idea why he chose what he chose....or even if he knew these two images were by the same person.

Here they are in all their glory......you can probably figure out which one was the cellphone image.....

The Square Root of Two:
    SquareRootof2.

Death of a Salesman:
    DeathofaSalesman.

8. Awesome news! Congrats.

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Thanks Beeze.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Attaboy Mike! [imgn]https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/images/icons/icon14.gif[/imgn]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh, nice pix too - I remember liking them both when I saw them before. Ferguson's got good taste. So, with this whole cellphone thing, are you the new Warhol?

12. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Thanks Big C. I love double entrandre actually......

Whoops! wrote that before I saw your second post...No, I hardly think so. I don't wear wigs and I don't view art as a factory made commodity....although I don't really understand why.....

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2007
  13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think that pretty darn cool:>))))

14. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Congratulations, Mike. Both shots are very deserving. I can't tell Alice about the cell phone camera though. I'll never be able to buy another piece of equipment.

15. Mike!

The cell phone image was obviously a winner from the first time I saw it. I think it's a great great image. I'd love to have it on my wall for sure.

Great news and I'm happy for you!

16. Mike, you should be feeling good and deservedly so.:biggrin:

17. Both of these are very creative images. I'm always pleased when a curator/juror recognizes someone who is forging into new territories. Way to go, Mike!! 24X36 from a 12k?!?! Awesome.

18. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    HulaMike,

I like both of those. Very creative. Both made me linger and think about them.

19. Maybe the -almost- one year difference between us makes that i'd be much more on the Man Ray and Marcel Duchamps, Alfred Stieglitz, and many other "dadaïst" artists... wich in any case were the predecessors of the Pop Art movement :BigGrin: !

Cheers mate and have a great week-end !
    J-P.

PS. apart from ANY jokes on the use of cellphone, i DO LOVE both pics (and i would love them even if you had taken them with a D2X :wink:) !

20. That is really cool, Mike! Huge kudos!!!!!