Topanga Banjo Fiddle Contest! Yeehaww!

Discussion in 'People' started by Skunkabilly, May 21, 2007.

1. Ok for you banjopickers and fiddlescratchers out there:

A lot of folks with SLRs were there with midranges and telephotos, but being a familiar face and a banjopicker, I was able to shoot as a participant in the thick of the action.

Welcome to the 47th Topanga Banjo Fiddle Contest.

I used to compete, but I figure to quit that while I was ahead. It's always good to jam with familiar faces.

The festival is held annually in the Santa Monica Mountains.

Speaking of Park Rangers, Nina (foreground) with the mandolin, is a backcountry Ranger and a kick butt mandolin picker, which makes her officially the coolest person I know.

Some came quite a distance, this gentleman being from Montreal, but most are locals.

The next generation of pickers are quite teh adorable.

I tried to take some video but my Fuji F30 kept slipping off the top of my banjo (the banjo is round) and it takes REALLY bad audio. If I can clean it up enough I'll post a video, otherwise I'll just have to buy a camcorder (ouch).
  2. Is that Jerry Douglas???
  3. I don't know who he is. But, he's got a cool Dobro!
  4. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Cool shots and I am sure you had a great time
  5. Hi Mitchell,

No he's a local guy, school teacher by day, Dobro wizard by night! I've run into him lots over the years.
  6. Thanks Gale, I really need to get more active in the festival scene again.
  7. tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    I would have loved to be there. It looks like great fun and a lot of skilled musicians. Thanks for posting