Topaz Labs Denoise AI and Sharpen AI

Has anyone tried these Topaz products out? I've been playing around with both of them and like the results a lot on certain photos. Here are a couple of examples where I think the edited versions using the Topaz products deliver a better image. I'm not sure you would see the difference unless you were printing 8x10 or larger, but it's definitely there when I look at the final images; at least according to my old tired eyes. I still need to spend a lot more time to learn how to use the Topaz software applications to get the best results but i do think that Topaz has a couple of winners.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andrew
ive been using them quite a bit.

sharpen has saved a few shots for me in situations of motion blur. i also like how it sharpens my fuji xtrans raw images.

denoise is great but still a little buggy. i had to put in a trouble ticket with their batch module as it sometimes does not apply the settings to all images. they are looking to have a fix sometime this month.
i normally only use denoise for images over ISO 3200.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ive been using them quite a bit.

sharpen has saved a few shots for me in situations of motion blur. i also like how it sharpens my fuji xtrans raw images.

denoise is great but still a little buggy. i had to put in a trouble ticket with their batch module as it sometimes does not apply the settings to all images. they are looking to have a fix sometime this month.
i normally only use denoise for images over ISO 3200.
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't used all the features in Denoise but so far, so good. Sharpen works fine when I open images from Lightroom but will not function as a stand alone application. I open the image, make adjustments, then it freezes when I try to save the edits. Go figure. They haven't been able to offer me a fix but have advised me that an update should be available soon.

I've been using Sharpen AI for a few months now, and I like it a lot -- it really can make a difference in one's images! I use it as a standalone since I don't have Lightroom or PS. There have been various issues with the latest new version, and they've had to keep issuing updates to that, which is rather annoying. I hung on to the older version as well and at times am still just using it.

I recently purchased both of these products and have used both quite a bit on my film scans (Nikon SuperCoolScan 4000). Sharpen AI does a wonderful job on these. DeNoise AI does not significantly improve these scans IMO.

For my images produced by digital cameras, use of these two apps significantly improves those from my past older cameras (Coolpix 995, D1H, D70, D40x). Sharpen AI doesn't seem to improve images from my more recent cameras (D700, D810, D500, Z7), but DeNoise AI does help those images shot at higher ISO, i.e greater than 1600.

I bought these apps primarily to use on my film scans and am well-pleased with Sharpen AI. I anticipate DeNoise AI will be most useful to me in the future for high ISO images and Sharpen AI for occasional use.

Real Name
Andrew
I really like the newest version. Not only do they add the batch features, but they are including the ability to do selective adjustments. there are times when I want to only adjust the noise in the smooth background parts but not the main subject. Same with Sharpening. There are times when I only want a section of the image to be sharp enhanced.

Nice to have.

I guess I need to update to the latest versions. Being able to selectively apply them has been one of the drawbacks IMO. Most of the artifacts that get produced by AI Sharpen are typically in the BG. Anything linear seams to be particularly problematic. Like just blurry ripples on water. It can really do weird things with something like that.

One place that AI Sharpen can produce odd artifacts is on white fur/feathers. Sometimes it's almost like it super enhances mild CA. I've had it produce distinct red and blue lines on white fur/feather detail. Very annoying.

Real Name
Andrew
I do like the selective adjustments feature in the newest version, but the batch features aren't something I really would use or appreciate. Right now I keep bouncing back-and-forth between older and newer versions, and that is probably not good!
I didn't think so either until I needed to process through my Arnold 2020 images. I had about 20-30 images I wanted to use DeNoise on, but that would have been a headache going one by one, waiting for the loading and saving. I don't see it as something I would use often, but when you do need it....life saver!

Yes, and here are a couple of my own (non-DLSR) examples from a recent blog post on Sharpen. In my experience, the Stabilize option seemed to work best, regardless of original image issue (here I show motion blur and focus issues):

flyingbird.jpg
lampcomp.jpg

Yes, and here are a couple of my own (non-DLSR) examples from a recent blog post on Sharpen. In my experience, the Stabilize option seemed to work best, regardless of original image issue (here I show motion blur and focus issues):
I agree that most of the time the stabilize option is most effective. However it also generates the most artifacts in the BG. I generally run a preview of both focus and stabilize to see which is better on a given image. Once in a while the focus option works better. The only time I've found the sharpen option useful is on images with no issues. But on them simple unsharp mask works and is far easier/simpler to use.

I have been using Topaz for years and switched to Topaz Ai when they came out.
I use Denoise AI and Sharpen Ai in most of my images.

I do not use Sharpen Ai selective masking tool (find it cumbersome), but do it in PS2020 with masking for certain areas or with the history brush.

If you are interested in learning about thew History Brush (very powerful technique)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom