Topaz releases DeNoise AI 2.3

Today Topaz released version 2.3 of its flagship noise reduction app, DeNoise AI.

Here's a screenshot of a detailed crop of one of my old 2003 digital images getting a spa day in the just-before-release beta (shot handheld, from a plane window, though the haze, at extended zoom, with a non-DSLR):

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And another of a 2003 night fire (yes, of course, in California):

I see it is on sale for $20 off, until Oct 9th (I think), and Nikon Rumors had a 15% coupon (RUMORS15). Grabbed a copy today, great timing, as I had it on my wish list for use with CaptureOne.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see it is on sale for $20 off, until Oct 9th (I think), and Nikon Rumors had a 15% coupon (RUMORS15). Grabbed a copy today, great timing, as I had it on my wish list for use with CaptureOne.
Very good! Coupon "plugsnpixels" always works as well (15%), and you can get a double-discount with it whenever Topaz is having a launch or seasonal sale.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
There is a new version of De Noise that is supposed to be MUCH faster with NVIDIA GPU's!

How much faster?

On my new laptop (I9, 64GB RAM, 4K display, Nvidia GTX 1650 with 4 GB, and 2 TB NVME SSD storage) I loaded 45 MP images and here are the results
  • Old version to run full size image at 45 MP, AI clear took 3 minutes and 16 seconds
  • New version to run full size image at 45 MP, AI clear took 24 seconds
  • New version to run 4k Sized images, AI clear took 6 seconds
  • New version to run 1080P size image at 45 MP, AI clear took 3 seconds!
Say no more! Download is mandatory! I'm thrilled!

I upgraded mine today. Now it is a renewable 1-year license.
Having had many of their products with only one payment each - ever, can't complain. When the product is this good, I renew.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Having had many of their products with only one payment e4ach - ever, Can't complain. When the product is this good, I renew.
I updated my version today also....but failed to note that it is now a yearly license.....

Real Name
PJ
Can it be installed on Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra). I tried downloading the online updater and it says it can't be run (and to check Mac OS compatibility). Trying to download the full installer.

Do you need to run the uninstaller first to get rid of the older version?

Can it be installed on Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra). I tried downloading the online updater and it says it can't be run (and to check Mac OS compatibility). Trying to download the full installer.

No idea as I am Windows only. I did not have to uninstall to upgrade.

Having had many of their products with only one payment each - ever, can't complain. When the product is this good, I renew.
Alex - I bought the rights to use DeNoise and Sharpen within the last year. I updated and didn't see anything about a 1-year license. I'll be looking in the future to see if their updates will change the terms of my purchase.

They changed in 2020. I have been a Topaz customer for over 6 years.
Earlier this year they announced they need the money to continue development and they would give a grace period then start charging per year. Fine with me.
This was the first time I had to do it.

You should have one year for your current license, so expect it to renew in 2021.

I've been using Topaz Sharpen AI for a while, and love it, but hadn't gotten around to going with Topaz Denoise AI....until today. This discussion was a very timely one for me as I was frustrated with an image that was afflicted with a lot of noise (due to an error on my part).....I had pretty much decided to trash that image when I didn't get satisfactory results from the usually reliable DXO Prime, but then saw this thread and thought, "hey, now's the time to give Topaz Denoise a try!" and went ahead and bought it, putting it right to the acid test straightaway. WOW, this is an amazing program! Although it didn't completely eradicate all of the noise in that image it certainly brought the thing to acceptable viewing standards, although certainly still nothing I'd hang on a gallery wall. Definitely a keeper in the image processing toolbox!

Real Name
PJ

To answer my own question, apparently there are some users experiencing problems getting 2.3 to work. Topaz is aware of the issue and hopefully will have a fix soon.

They changed in 2020. I have been a Topaz customer for over 6 years.
Earlier this year they announced they need the money to continue development and they would give a grace period then start charging per year. Fine with me.
This was the first time I had to do it.

You should have one year for your current license, so expect it to renew in 2021.
Since they didn't notify me that the terms of my purchase would change if I updated my software, they will definitely not get any additional money from me. A simple warning for the update would have taken care of it. Then I could have made a choice instead of stumbling into a "subscription" that I didn't want. If the software stops working when my "subscription" runs out, I'll just completely uninstall it from my computer and move on. Too bad. I like their software but consider their approach unethical.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the software stops working when my "subscription" runs out, I'll just completely uninstall it from my computer and move on.
The particular version of the software keeps working even after the subscription ends, so long as your OS and hardware supports it. In other words, it's not like Adobe, where they pull the plug immediately if you cancel your subscription. If one day you update your OS/hardware and the software is then not technically supported, you can jump back on the subscription at any time.

The particular version of the software keeps working even after the subscription ends, so long as your OS and hardware supports it. In other words, it's not like Adobe, where they pull the plug immediately if you cancel your subscription. If one day you update your OS/hardware and the software is then not technically supported, you can jump back on the subscription at any time.
Thanks for the feedback. After my initial irritation about not knowing about the change that Topaz has made for updates, I logged into my account and discovered that the software I've purchased will continue to work after my eligibility for new updates expires. I'm actually ok with that since I appreciate the costs that go into updating their software. With that said, and I know that they are software developers and not PR types, I think that they could have rolled out their new policy much more effectively. Since I've purchased DeNoise and Sharpen, as well as one of their older products, an e-mail outlining their new policy on subscription updates would have been appreciated and would have cleared the air. At least now I'm a little more comfortable with what they are doing. Again, thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Cleanimage for your followup. Glad you got it worked out. Let's see some of your before-and-afters!
Here is an example of the same image; one with LR edit and one with LR edit plus DeNoise. This image is cropped more than I would normally crop in order to show the difference. Hopefully the reduction in noise will show between the two posts. I can tell you that on my monitor you can really see the difference with a significant reduction in noise while the details are preserved. I also like their sharpen software for less noisy images where the detail needs to be further drawn out.

LR (1 of 1).jpg
DeNoise (1 of 1).jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom