Topaz Sharpen AI 3.2 Update

I realize that some people have had issues with Topaz Sharpen AI Version 3.x on their system, but I've been fortunate and have had no issues. So, I installed Version 3.2 just now as an update to Version 3.1 upon reading the release information that was automatically emailed to me. After a very brief check, everything seems to be working fine.

My only caution is to double check the Preferences settings after you install the software, as one of the settings that is important to me was automatically changed without notifying me of the change.

Windows 10 -- Sharpen AI installed as a plug-in to Photoshop CC

Real Name
Alex
Installed yesterday right after receiving the email (Windows 10). No problems.

I find it much faster. Have not had time to check the new features but I read the release notes and there are some.

I installed on a 2013 MacBook Air (although I have an M1 sitting nearby) and all is well with the full installer.

For those of you who are new customers, Topaz is offering $20 off through 8/20, plus you can get an additional 15% ($9) off with a coupon code.

Here are some examples I did this evening using some very old images (1-megapixel, 4-megapixel and Canon Rebel DSLR):

sharpen1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
sharpen2.jpg
sharpen3.jpg

Installed yesterday right after receiving the email (Windows 10). No problems.

I find it much faster. Have not had time to check the new features but I read the release notes and there are some.

I mentioned I have no problems with topaz but when I went to install this update I saw I was at the end of my free updates and would have to pay for this one.

So, I am interested in comments of performance and new features of this update.

I saw I was at the end of my free updates

I'm confused. If you have a paid license for Version 3, all updates to it will be available for free no matter how many updates are released. Once Version 4 is released, you will have the option of paying for that, after which all updates to Version 4 will also be free for you.

My understanding is that Topaz upgrades/updates are time based, not version based. This is the language that was published when free for life updates went away:

The change to the policy can be summarized as follows; Each product purchase comes with 1 year of software updates (Major & Minor), following that one year you can purchase an additional year of updates for $49.99 USD per product.

That's a really interesting update/upgrade policy, the likes of which I've never heard of. To further clarify it, the website says "By default, your programs come with 1 year of free upgrades from the date of purchase." Notice that it uses the term upgrade, not update.

I infer that if Topaz releases Version 4 while I am still using Version 3.x and if my upgrade license has not yet expired, I should be offered Version 4 at no cost until the term of my upgrade license expires. However, that didn't happen when I migrated from Version 2.x to Version 3. So, I suspect their loose use of terminology with regard to updates and upgrades is accidentally misleading.

Real Name
Alex
You are correct
I mentioned I have no problems with topaz but when I went to install this update I saw I was at the end of my free updates and would have to pay for this one.

So, I am interested in comments of performance and new features of this update.

Allan,

Here's Dave on the changes (video needs to be played in YouTube - does not seem to play here, so I cut the link not to make it try to load - just add https:).
//youtu.be/SyX2SMBJ_nw

I played with it, and used the masking features to apply sharpening only to my subject. Worked very well. Easy to use. Dave Kelly has an intro to masking in his video too. I like the 3.2 update (I do find it faster too).

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
Well for the first time I'm having issues with the upgrade. And not only on Sharpen AI but also Denoise and Gigapixel. I updated all three and now all three of them are altering exposure and WB when I open an image. I seem to recall reading about someone else having this issue a few revs back but can't find it.

Also has anyone else noticed that the 3.x versions of Sharpen AI create halos? I thought maybe it was my imagination but went into the Topaz community forum pages and found others making the same comments. Some reverting to v 2.24 as the last rev before the halo issue appeared. Unfortunately I haven't kept old revs or would simply reload them. Degrade?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Unless one likes to try the latest, it can be a good strategy to stick with the last version of the previous generation of their products. That way you get a version that has been most thoroughly debugged.

• Agree
Reactions: McQ
Real Name
Dan
Unless one likes to try the latest, it can be a good strategy to stick with the last version of the previous generation of their products. That way you get a version that has been most thoroughly debugged.
That's been my historic strategy. I got lazy/complacent this time and just updated them all while I was at it. Very frustrated with myself (and Topaz) at the moment.

I did the most recent 3.2.1 update today (Mac), worked fine. Their launch sale ends today (up to $29 off).

An example using an otherwise unretouched 4-megapixel image from 2006:

sharpen2.jpg

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom