Topaz Sharpen AI not working...

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Windows 10 with nVidia RTX 2080 Super XC graphics card

I've used Sharpen AI in the past. I had version 3.0. Since the app didn't work, I un-installed it and downloaded the current version, 3.1.2

Still no joy. Error says simply "Processing Error" and to try updating nVidia driver.

I updated the driver. Still no joy.

Suggestions?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks, Richard. Version 3.0 was failing me also. Good advice to go back to version 2. Thanks for the link!!!!!!!

Real Name
Andrew
Are you updating the nvidia driver via windows or nvidia proper? I’ve had issues in the past if you allow windows to manage the drivers.

I installed nvidia’s updated and have not had any issues since then.

the windows drivers are good for getting you up and running out of the box, but I find it better to get the drivers from the manufacturer.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Are you updating the nvidia driver via windows or nvidia proper? I’ve had issues in the past if you allow windows to manage the drivers.

I installed nvidia’s updated and have not had any issues since then.

the windows drivers are good for getting you up and running out of the box, but I find it better to get the drivers from the manufacturer.
I downloaded the driver from nVidia...............

I'm using Sharpen AI 3.2 on a Mac. When I use it in stand-alone and load a NEF file, I can process the file but then the application closes (which is stupid) but where the heck did the processed file go?

I get that when you process a jpg, Sharpen AI writes over the original file (which again is stupid without at least asking you), but I can't believe it writes over the NEF file . .

There is no place in the application to tell it where to go (or what format to put it in).

Anyone have a clue as to how it handles raw files in stand-alone mode?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I'm using Sharpen AI 3.2 on a Mac. When I use it in stand-alone and load a NEF file, I can process the file but then the application closes (which is stupid) but where the heck did the processed file go?

I get that when you process a jpg, Sharpen AI writes over the original file (which again is stupid without at least asking you), but I can't believe it writes over the NEF file . .

There is no place in the application to tell it where to go (or what format to put it in).

Anyone have a clue as to how it handles raw files in stand-alone mode?
I suggest you follow my advice in message #2 above, which will solve all your problems (I hope).

I suggest you follow my advice in message #2 above, which will solve all your problems (I hope).
I actually just got the answer from their support staff. Opening a raw file by either right-clicking and using 'Open with', or dragging the file into the Icon, open Sharpen AI in 'plug-in' mode and not 'stand-alone' mode. 'plug-in' mode simple processes a raw file then quits without writing the file back out (I guess it assumes it's been handed a file from some other program and it is their responsibility).

If you open Sharpen AI first, you are then in 'stand alone' mode. You can then 'file open' a raw file you can specify the output directory and file format for the processed file.

Seems like a bug to me . . . I don't know of another program that works like that.

Sharpen AI 3.2 works fine. It is actually fast on the Apple M1 chip if you mark it to use the M1 chip in preferences.

I downloaded the driver from nVidia...............
My foggy memory seems to be telling me that there are issues with Topaz and recent NV drivers. FWIW, I'm using the 462.31 Studio Driver without any hiccups (Sharpen AI 3.2.0). But remember, foggy is the key word here.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
My foggy memory seems to be telling me that there are issues with Topaz and recent NV drivers. FWIW, I'm using the 462.31 Studio Driver without any hiccups (Sharpen AI 3.2.0). But remember, foggy is the key word here.
Recently Topaz advised me that the current nVidia driver has a known bug in it....... nVidia is supposed to fix it in the next release. Topaz suggested I used the May 2021 driver and provided the link.

BUT - we are having almost the entire INSIDE of our home painted! UGH! I've had to empty all my large antiques which hold a lot of stuff. Take EVERYTHING off the walls, etc. Needless to say, our house is a mess right now. Painters started today. If painting is done in a week......I can then put everything back where it belongs!

That's a long way of saying I may not get to replacing the driver for a few days.......

A number of months ago I had a problem with Denoise. It was an issue where the plugin wasn't working properly with Lightroom and it occurred after I had updated to the latest version of Denoise. I know it's not Sharpen but I've got both of their software products and at the time the latest version of Sharpen was working fine. I contacted Topaz support and they suggested that I uninstall and reinstall the software but that didn't work. Finally I uninstalled both pieces of software, cleaned my C drive of all references to Topaz, and removed all Topaz files from my registry after making a back-up in case I screwed something up. The final step did the job and once I reinstalled they software they have both worked fine including the latest releases. I'm using Win 10 with a Nvidia GeForce 1660. Editing the registry is always my last choice if something isn't working but If the updated driver for your video card doesn't do the trick, you might consider this option to get the latest version of Sharpen to work right.

Re version 2.x vs 3.x...

With the most recent version of Sharpen AI (3.2.2), running the software on an image I use for benchmarking, my processing time has dropped from 132 seconds to 48. !!😜!! The last time I ran this test was in Sept. of last year. Sharpen AI 2.1.7 was the version I was using then. No hardware changes so this is all Topaz.

Of note in the new version (prefs):

AI Processor: Now has an Auto mode which selects which hardware will be used for processing. It apparently correctly selected my GPU (GTX 1660 S) and not my antique CPU (3770K).

Allow Model Downloading: By default the program will download models that run faster on your system.

Those two features may not be entirely new but they're new to me since I skipped a version or two. It also looks like some output issues have been resolved or at least mostly so.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Just yesterday nVidia sent me an email about an updated driver. I installed it, but have not had time to discover if my Topaz software will now work correctly.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom