Topaz Sharpen AI not working...

Excellent idea I never thought of!
Thanks. I benchmark my PC--and some of the software that runs on it--to keep tabs on performance. I chose this file* as my current test image because of its larger pixel dimensions (from a D850, I have the smaller file size D810) and its high ISO. It's not really a great file for testing the output of sharpening software but it's fine for checking time to completion. I prefer to view sharpening results on my own files.

*Another reason I chose it is because it's available to anyone who wants to use it and makes comparing different machines/setups somewhat more valid. This arose from a thread at DPR where the topic was basically GPUs and Topaz.

Last edited:
Just yesterday nVidia sent me an email about an updated driver. I installed it, but have not had time to discover if my Topaz software will now work correctly.
Karen - I'll be interested to hear your feedback. Hopefully the new driver will work. I use their studio driver and it works fine with Sharpen. If you are not using the studio driver you might consider trying it if all else fails.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Karen - I'll be interested to hear your feedback. Hopefully the new driver will work. I use their studio driver and it works fine with Sharpen. If you are not using the studio driver you might consider trying it if all else fails.
Thanks. nVidia nomenclature has always been a mystery to me! Not sure what is meant by "Studio"...... I have an EVGA GeForce RTX2080 Super XC 8 GB Open Air video card........ When I open the nVdia Control panel, I get this:

1630688843446.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Tim
Thanks. nVidia nomenclature has always been a mystery to me! Not sure what is meant by "Studio"...... I have an EVGA GeForce RTX2080 Super XC 8 GB Open Air video card........ When I open the nVdia Control panel, I get this:

View attachment 1688542

On the download page drop down on NVidia's site you have two options to download:

1630691166089.png

You're running the latest gaming driver. I'm actually on dot rev back from you so I'm going to install the same one as you (I have a 2070 Super)....see if that changes the behaviour..

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
On the download page drop down on NVidia's site you have two options to download:

View attachment 1688544
You're running the latest gaming driver. I'm actually on dot rev back from you so I'm going to install the same one as you (I have a 2070 Super)....see if that changes the behaviour..
Topaz told me the earlier nVidia driver had a known error that would be corrected in the late Aug release...............FWIW...............

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I think the rule of thumb is that you only use the "Game Ready Driver" if you are looking for the very latest optimal performance when playing games. It pushes the limits and is therefore less likely to work.

You should use the "Studio Driver" if you want the one most likely to work.

Real Name
Tim
Topaz told me the earlier nVidia driver had a known error that would be corrected in the late Aug release...............FWIW..............

Ok - I'm a space case...for some reason I've been reading this thread as "Denoise" and not Sharpen...ugh. I've been using Denoise (I still go back and forth between that, DxO, and standard lightroom)....so my comparison isn't valid. I'm sorry....

That being said - I was gonna buy Sharpen AI anyway, so hold my beer.... :D

Real Name
Tim
Ok - now that I've spent even MORE money on software.... :D

Sharpen AI 3.2.2
nVidia Game Ready driver 471.96

No crashes....I'm going to switch to the Studio driver since I officially ended my gaming days on this computer last week.... :D

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Ok - now that I've spent even MORE money on software.... :D

Sharpen AI 3.2.2
nVidia Game Ready driver 471.96

No crashes....I'm going to switch to the Studio driver since I officially ended my gaming days on this computer last week.... :D
I could load an image, but it would not process. Hope you have success now with the latest driver!

Real Name
Tim
I could load an image, but it would not process. Hope you have success now with the latest driver!

I was able to process it as well....keep in mind that I did a clean install *after* I updated the game ready driver to latest.....

Switched to studio driver 471.68 (latest) and get:

1630693421233.png

Going to switch back to the game driver.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I was able to process it as well....keep in mind that I did a clean install *after* I updated the game ready driver to latest.....

Switched to studio driver 471.68 (latest) and get:

View attachment 1688545

Going to switch back to the game driver.
That is the same error message I got - USING the previous version game driver...........

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
BTW - I must confess. During my last computer build, Richard @Growltiger strongly recommended that I not get an nVidia card due to their poor performance with driver updates. I didn't listen............:oops:

Real Name
Tim
BTW - I must confess. During my last computer build, Richard @Growltiger strongly recommended that I not get an nVidia card due to their poor performance with driver updates. I didn't listen............:oops:

I've never really had an big issue with nVidia - I've pretty much used nvidia cards exclusively since the 9 series came out and short above I've never had any issues. I've read of specific issues with certain releases, but nothing I've ever hit....I think the bigger issue is their development/qa process...

I just tested all three that I own (giga, sharpen, denoise) and no issues at this point....

Seems like NV runs a pretty tight ship compared to the ATI driver horror show I endured some years ago—completely turned me against the brand. I'm sure things are better now... they'd have to be.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom