Torn

Literally and figuratively.

Last year I was in a pretty serious car accident, tore some muscles in my right shoulder and damaged my back. Recovery has been slow but steady.

In the meantime, its gotten difficult to lug much gear around for long periods of time. Lifting a camera with lens up to my face to shoot has been a challenge as well.

I started thinking about going with a Fujifilm x100s or X-e1. I almost eliminate the X100s as I shoot mostly between 35-105 so that doesn't quite give me enough. The Xe1 has the FL covered (35 and 60) but I don't know if they're going to focus fast enough for what I want.

That leads me to an Oly e5 or whatever it's called. Good results, plenty of range with the lenses etc. I also like the discression of the smaller bodies as well.

Then I took the grip and spare battery out of my D90 and tried it with just a 35mm prime. I had been thinking a D600 for a while. The reduced weight of the D90 wasn't so bad after a few hours. Not sure how it would be after longer.

So, I'm torn. Do I start over with a new system? Upgrade and continue using what I have? What makes the most sense? Cost would be close for a D600 or Small body and a few pieces of glass.

I've had the X100s for a couple of weeks and love it when I don't want to carry my D7000 + lenses (invariably too many and too heavy).

My only complaint is short battery life. The files sizes are quite a bit larger (RAW) than the D7000 and I think the quality level is higher.

The camera is so light that when I pick up my Domke F-5XA case, I often check to make sure the camera's inside.

same and different

I switched from D90 + D2h to Olympus E-PL5 with VF-2 viewfinder and much smaller and lighter lenses because the heft of even Nikon's DX system with 5 of their quality lenses just took it's toll on my arthritis big time.
As I understand, over time you will get better where my arthritis will just get worse. You might want to wait and see how your healing progresses. I not saying Nikon DX is better than Olympus m43's, I just know you will take a hit selling you Nikon equipment in order to acquire the Olympus or Fuji (if you go that route) smaller size and weight.
Get well soon.
Bobby

Thanks both.

Even once shoulder heals, I'd still like a small camera for times a big one just doesn't make sense or isn't appropriate.

Not a bad idea, but, everytime I've used the D3100 in a store the controls drive me crazy. I keep leaning towards the X100s. Seems to fit most of my needs.

I think you will be better off sticking with NIkon and the smaller DSLR . Last week I manage to convert a OM lens to NIkon mount. With the 28mm OM lens and the Nikon D700. The weight was minimal.

Yes,.. it is still bigger and slightly weight more than micro 4/3. But the control and weight was really not that heavy at all.

You shoulder will get better. even if not 100%. My D700 and small prime was no issue at all.

Take some omega 6 fish oil and regular exercise. For the odd occasion where you need to use all the gear. You can even get one of those bags with wheels.

If IQ is an issue, then I personally rate the RAW files from the Fuji to be better (and almost 40% larger in size) than those from my D7000. I still carry the D7000 when I need a compliment of lenses, but for trips to The City and day to day, the Fuji is almost (it does use batteries) flawless. I'd rate it's 23mm f2 lens among the 5 best lenses I've used, the other four being the Nikon 105/2.5 AIS and 200/4 macro, Zeiss Contax 21/28 and 28/2.8.

I'm glad that you are recovering , Chadci.

I'm ordering Fuji x100 ( surely X100s even is a better camera) and will test it against my D600 ( I know this would be unfair test ;-)) and let you know, if you think that's helpful. If x100 is good then X100s is excellent!

Probably AF of X-E1 is slower than X100s but it's more versatile in choosing lenses. I read a review of XE1 on dpreview and they said the kit lens is very nice, also the 35 1.4.

Might also want to check out the new Panasonic G6.

Will look into that.

I'm glad that you are recovering , Chadci.

I'm ordering Fuji x100 ( surely X100s even is a better camera) and will test it against my D600 ( I know this would be unfair test ;-)) and let you know, if you think that's helpful. If x100 is good then X100s is excellent!

Probably AF of X-E1 is slower than X100s but it's more versatile in choosing lenses. I read a review of XE1 on dpreview and they said the kit lens is very nice, also the 35 1.4.

I would appreciate that, thanks.

Problem with going with a smaller SLR or XE1 with anything bigger than say the 35mm is its getting too big to be a go anywhere do anything kind of thing. I enjoy shooting primes almost exclusively these days so 1 FL isn't the issue, just wish it were a bit longer in the x100(s)

I think I've decided on the X100s but will sleep on it for a few weeks.

Why?

Easier than starting a whole new system.
Price is within budget even after strap (probably a SnapR), hood and extra battery or two.
But what I realized this morning is I always use the camera on the 4s and while I'm not crazy about the files I get from it, the FL is basically the same as the X. I took a photo with it in my living room then with my D90 an 16-85 I dialed in to match it which was right between 23-24mm. Same 1.5 crop on both and viola, its spot on. I don't zoom on the 4s (typically) so it'll work just fine.

For now I'll hang on to my Nikon systems for when I know lll need more reach. I think it'll be a good well rounded system. I'll sleep on it for a week or two before I put my money where my mouth is but it feels right.

Latest threads

Top Bottom