Torrechiara - a Fairy Tale

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I have visited this fairy-tale castle near Parma several times and it still fascinates me. It is a place I used to take visitors from the UK when we were still permitted to have visitors.

I wanted to try out a particular camera and lens combination, as well as making some higher definition pictures. I also wanted to try and photograph the "Camera di Oro" (The Gold room), which is very small and difficult to depict. I brought the fisheye for this room.

I mostly used my Z7 with the 14-30 and 24-70. But I wanted to try my 24mm Tilt shift adapted to the Z7 via the FTZ adaptor and with the viewfinder level activated.

Built between 1448 and 1460 by Magnifico Pier Maria Rossi, it is one of the most important examples of Italian castle architecture.
Its defensive structure is composed by three wall circles and four angular towers. It s residential function is explained by the rich presence of "grotesque" (circa 1590) frescoes by Cesare Baglione.
The "Golden Room" (1462) is extraordinary, attributed to Benedetto Bembo, to celebrate the love story between Pier Maria and Bianca Pellegrini and the power of his lineage and the power of the family, through the depiction of all castles of the fiefdom.

The IBIS in the Z7 proved its worth, and I was happy with the results from the TS and I quickly got used to a routine for focusing on a zoomed image in the viewfinder with this manual focus lens, before composing with the help of the level.

DSC_6167 2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSZ_5995 1.jpg

DSZ_6003 1.jpg

DSZ_6020.jpg

DSZ_6025 1.jpg

DSZ_6041 1.jpg

DSZ_6073 1.jpg

DSZ_6099 1.jpg

DSZ_6104 1.jpg

DSZ_6172 1.jpg

DSZ_6179 1.jpg

DSZ_6200 1.jpg

DSZ_6227 1.jpg

DSC_6144 1.jpg

I have visited this fairy-tale castle near Parma several times and it still fascinates me. It is a place I used to take visitors from the UK when we were still permitted to have visitors.

I wanted to try out a particular camera and lens combination, as well as making some higher definition pictures. I also wanted to try and photograph the "Camera di Oro" (The Gold room), which is very small and difficult to depict. I brought the fisheye for this room.

I mostly used my Z7 with the 14-30 and 24-70. But I wanted to try my 24mm Tilt shift adapted to the Z7 via the FTZ adaptor and with the viewfinder level activated.

Built between 1448 and 1460 by Magnifico Pier Maria Rossi, it is one of the most important examples of Italian castle architecture.
Its defensive structure is composed by three wall circles and four angular towers. It s residential function is explained by the rich presence of "grotesque" (circa 1590) frescoes by Cesare Baglione.
The "Golden Room" (1462) is extraordinary, attributed to Benedetto Bembo, to celebrate the love story between Pier Maria and Bianca Pellegrini and the power of his lineage and the power of the family, through the depiction of all castles of the fiefdom.

The IBIS in the Z7 proved its worth, and I was happy with the results from the TS and I quickly got used to a routine for focusing on a zoomed image in the viewfinder with this manual focus lens, before composing with the help of the level.

View attachment 1678649
View attachment 1678650

View attachment 1678651
View attachment 1678652
View attachment 1678662
View attachment 1678653
View attachment 1678654

View attachment 1678655
View attachment 1678656
View attachment 1678657
View attachment 1678658
View attachment 1678659
View attachment 1678660
View attachment 1678661
Thank you for sharing, your photography is impressive.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Beautiful photos of a very interesting building. I am especially impressed by the lack of geometric and perspective distortion. Did you correct that in PS?
I mostly used a Nikon 24mm Tilt Shift hand held using the camera level in the viewfinder. It was an experiment (successful). Some others were corrected in post.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Remarkable images! Were tripods allowed?
No, in Italy tripods are not allowed in state museums and monuments unless you apply for permission for professional photography, as photographs taken using using a tripod are considered professional photography. The state is terrified a citizen might make some money selling images of Italy's monuments.

From Wikipedia:

"In Italy freedom of panorama does not exist. Despite many official protests and a national initiative led by the lawyer Guido Scorza and the journalist Luca Spinelli (who highlighted the issue),[19] the publishing of photographic reproductions of public places is still prohibited, in accordance with the old Italian copyright laws[22][23] made more restrictive by a law called Codice Urbani which states, among other provisions, that to publish pictures of "cultural goods" (meaning in theory every cultural and artistic object and place) for commercial purposes it is mandatory to obtain an authorization from the local branch of the Ministry of Arts and Cultural Heritage, the Soprintendenza."

Freedom of panorama is a big problem for photographers, with the increase of "private" public spaces around new developments.

In lesser monuments there is usually no problem and sometimes people in small villages are happy to see sombody taking an interest in their cultural heritage.

This is why I am experimenting with the Z7 + the Nikon TS hand held. The results of this shoot pleased me technically.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
It is quite impressive that you achieved such exquisite results hand holding! Many could not get such excellent results even if they used a tripod! LOL!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom