Tortoise...it doesn't hurt to ask!

I stopped by the Reptile Fest in Chicago this afternoon in hopes of getting some interesting photographs. At first, it was rather disappointing from a photography perspective as most of the reptiles were behind glass. And, the place was packed with people which made it difficult to set up any pictures.

Just as I was about to leave, I decided to push my luck a bit. I asked one of the woman working the exhibit if she would mind if I took some photographs of the turtles. Before I knew it, she picked up various turtles (some weighing more than 60 pounds) and positioned them for me on a table. After a few shots and seeing the willingness of many of the workers to help out (as they were flattered to have their pets photographed), it wasn't long before someone brought out a black tablecloth and another person held a black cloth behind the turtle for me. I had my own little studio going with my D800, 105VR and SB-900 flash unit!

I'm hoping that I captured several good images. But, this is the only one I had time to process so far tonight:

p1536767586.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...and reading!

Glenn

Wow - persistence pays off - great result, Glenn. Unless you were in a studio with a rimlight coming from the back, you couldn't hope for a better shot.

Thank Sean...had I known how cooperative everyone was going to be, I probably could have brought my Einstein strobes in there!

And we all know how important shutter speed is when shooting a tortoise. I love that shot and I have a 60 pounder..African spurred tortoise that is.

Thanks Bobby...I was able to shoot at 1/40th shutter speed for this one. You should have plenty of opportunities to get great tortoise shots since you own an African spurred tortoise!

Great read and even better image. Well done Glenn.

Thanks Rich

fantastic :)

Thank you, Steven

100% awesome! The black backdrop really makes the coloration of the tortoise stand out - hope you give the owner a copy - bet she'll love it!

Thanks Dianne...yes, I offered free prints to everyone involved!

Glenn

Real Name
Luis Casals
Well, Glenn it looks like a win win to me. You did very well on this shot for sure.

Latest threads

Top Bottom