1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Totally stupid question RGB vs sRGB

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by leahp26, Sep 25, 2008.

1. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    So I was just reading another thread where it was mentioned that the images had been edited in RGB but not converted to sRGB yet and so the colors may look flat.

Sorry for total newbie questions but what is SRGB vs RGB. I did a quick search but RGB is less than 3 letters and my search won't work. I could google this but I'm afraid of the likely complex answers!

Does anyone have the patience to explain it in the style of "sRGB and/or RGB for dummies"?

Specifically - do I need to change anything on my camera?
    Is there something I should be doing in PS or Bridge?

I just looked in one of the files in PS (Image - mode) - it appears I am working in RGB.

I generally print at mpix if that helps

THANKS!!!

2. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    RGB just means that the image is represented by certain amounts of red, green, and blue. sRGB is one standard specifying what amount of R/G/B different numbers stand for.

You don't convert to sRGB from RGB - sRGB is an RGB colorspace. Others include adobe RGB (the most common "other one" and probably what you mean by RGB) and ProPhoto RGB. sRGB is what applications tend to assume absent other information. Most web browsers just assume that all images are sRGB, for example.

Check edit/color settings to see what your current settings are.

3. mikhailr

mikhailr Guest

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Thanks for the book tip Mikhail - I am not sure I want to get into this in huge detail but maybe I should!

Mattsteg - thank you. I just went to edit/colour settings and I can see that I'm set at sRGB.

I guess one more question - should I stick at sRGB? Move over to Adobe RGB?

Thanks again

5. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    In general, you should use sRGB unless you know you should be using something else. Other spaces do have advantages, but once you move away from sRGB it becomes much more important to remember when and why you need to convert them and just introduces a bit of extra complexity to your workflow. If you don't have and understand a good reason why you've done this, it's probably unwise. Mpix expects photos in sRGB, so you'd end up converting anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.