Tough call - 50 1.4 AF-S or 85 1.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kiwi, Sep 25, 2008.

1. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I'm going to be doing a couple of things this summer

1/ Night time, dimly lit sport (baseball mainly, but a bit of indoor backetball too)

2/ Studio portraits

I have been tossing up between the 85 1.8 and the 85 1.4 ($$$$$), and then comes along the 50 1.4 AF-S for what looks to be about $440.

I'm thinking that might be the best way to go....but....85 1.4 cream machine has that bokeh appeal too. Just not sure how fast the AF is.

Whatcha reckon ?

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    85 1.8 is the better lens, sharp and contrasty wide open, and i love its rendition

3. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I don't have to much experience with the new-to-me 85/1.8, but what I have is excellent results. I was searching for a mid-tele for much what you are..already have a 50. the 85 is just awesome. I was concerned it might be too long on Dx, but I just take a step or two backwards.

I don't think for what I do I can justify the 1.4 version for any reason other than lust.

4. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I liked the 85mm f/1.8 I tried, but it did suffer from quite bad CA (worse of any lens I've used). It is reasonably sharp and has nice bokeh, although I preferred the bokeh I had from my Sigma 30mm f/1.4, it just seemed a little less nervous.

cotdt: I don't know how you can say the 85mm f/1.8 is sharper than the 50mm f/1.4 when it's not even released yet?! And the 85mm f/1.4 is sharper at comparable apertures too.