1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tough call - 50 1.4 AF-S or 85 1.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kiwi, Sep 25, 2008.

1. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I'm going to be doing a couple of things this summer

1/ Night time, dimly lit sport (baseball mainly, but a bit of indoor backetball too)

2/ Studio portraits

I have been tossing up between the 85 1.8 and the 85 1.4 ($$$$$), and then comes along the 50 1.4 AF-S for what looks to be about $440.

I'm thinking that might be the best way to go....but....85 1.4 cream machine has that bokeh appeal too. Just not sure how fast the AF is.

Whatcha reckon ?

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    85 1.8 is the better lens, sharp and contrasty wide open, and i love its rendition

3. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I don't have to much experience with the new-to-me 85/1.8, but what I have is excellent results. I was searching for a mid-tele for much what you are..already have a 50. the 85 is just awesome. I was concerned it might be too long on Dx, but I just take a step or two backwards.

I don't think for what I do I can justify the 1.4 version for any reason other than lust.

4. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I liked the 85mm f/1.8 I tried, but it did suffer from quite bad CA (worse of any lens I've used). It is reasonably sharp and has nice bokeh, although I preferred the bokeh I had from my Sigma 30mm f/1.4, it just seemed a little less nervous.

cotdt: I don't know how you can say the 85mm f/1.8 is sharper than the 50mm f/1.4 when it's not even released yet?! And the 85mm f/1.4 is sharper at comparable apertures too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.