1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tough Shooting Day

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Simba909, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    I had a couple Pop Warner football games on Saturday morning and I've never had so much trouble with the settings in my life. I tried manual, aperature priority, EV comp, matrix metering, center weighted, I tried everything I could think off. The results were awful, below are the best of the day. It was a very bright morning and I was trying to expose for the faces but to do so I had to blow everything else.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I feel for you Ron, we have all experienced the same issues. I've stayed with Aperture Priority and center weighted metering, this combination seems to be the best suited for my style of shooting. If the highlights are an issue, I adjust EV compensation according to the histogram and blinkies. One thing I see right away with the images that you posted, these images are very special and I hope they get printed for the kids and their parents to enjoy for a lifetime.

3. Ron,
    You really did have a tough situation there.

NEF or JPG?
    If NEF there is a lot of saving that can be done with these shots, particularly in NX2.

Here would be my initial approach:
    Pict Control to Neutral
    Back off exposure comp 'till the brights are acceptable
    Bump of shadow protection 'till the darks are acceptable
    Shadow Balance in levels/curves
    By now it shold be all but right but if needed touch up contrast / saturation as needed.
    Some selective work may be needed on the dark faces under the helmets.

If they are NEF I'll be happy to work on one for you.

If you only shoot JPG then in conditions like this I would back off all in-camera settings to the lowest setting.
    No point in having the camera's software adding contrast etc. that can't be reversed.

Neat shots. I really like #22 running with the ball.

Don

4. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Thanks Frank, Of the 200+ shots I took I could only salvage approx 75. I spent more time looking at blinkies and histograms than shooting the game. I started out with aperature priority and center weighted, which are also my preferred, but I realized right away that combo was not going to work. There were times I was shooting over +1 on the EV comp, so I switched over to manual. It was a very humbling experience.

5. I think the images look great for what you are doing. What I mean is this...parents want to see faces!!! It's photographer that seek "the perfect picture." I had a similar situation, if not worse this weekend. The team I shot were primarily black players with teal jersey and WHITE pants. WOW!!! So, I feel for you. However, I tried to take my own advice.... as difficult as it is. LOOK for my photos a little later, titled "jags vs. bills

great job,

6. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Thanks for looking Don. These were shot jpeg, but thanks for the offer to work on NEF file. I think I did the opposite of what you suggest on the camera settings, I increased the saturation and sharpness. Don't ask me why I did that, desperation I guess. I feel so bad for the parents who asked me to shoot the game for them that I'll probably just give them all the pp'd files for free. I don't think I can charge them for these shots.

7. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Thanks Rolly, I'm sure you had the same shooting situationin Tampa as I did in Miami. Not a cloud in the sky and a very bright morning sun. A beautiful day for anything except for photographing a football game. Wish I had gone to the beach instead!

8. These look great Ron, there isn't a ton you can do with high noon sunlight.

9. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Thanks Phil

10. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Ron ... the other guys are right... there isn't a whole lot you can do when the light is like that..... you can try to bring back the faces a bit in PP and recover the highlights a bit but you can only do so much... Overall I think you did well and found a good balance between highlights and keeping faces detailed ..... Looking forward to seeing more of your work...

11. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Thanks Topher, I appreciate your feedback.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.