1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tour of Utah Bicycle Race, Aug. 18-23

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by daveR1, Aug 6, 2009.

1. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    It's coming up in a couple of weeks so I thought I would start a thread to see who's interested. It's billed as the most difficult race in the US, primarily due to massive amounts of climbing up and over mountains. Two stages have uphill mountaintop finishes. You can even download course routes to use in your Garmin GPS!

Here's the link to their homepage: http://www.tourofutah.com/
    Dates are Tues., Aug. 18 - Sun., Aug. 23.

Here's my cliff notes of the stages and photo opportunities:

Tues., Aug. 18th. - Prologue @ State Capitol Building to City Creek Cyn & back. Racers against the clock over a short course one at a time. Pace will be fast, easy access for closeup shots of individual riders. Exotic looking Time Trial Bikes.

Stage 1 Wed., Aug 19th - Road Race from Ogden to U of Utah Research Park. The first climb up to Snow Basin Ski Resort should be awesome. After that, a monster climb up over Big Mountain from East Canyon. The pack will be broken up due to all of the climbing, but the tight hairpins on the downhill side of Big Mountain summit will make for some great shots.

Stage 2 Thurs., Aug. 20th - Road Race from Thanksgiving Point finishing on Mount Nebo. Tough uphill finish on Mount Nebo will offer some great shots of the riders really suffering with the 2nd day in a row of tough climbing. Getting up in the mountains will be a nice respite from the August heat in the valley

Stage 3 Friday, Aug. 21st - Time Trial at Miller Motorsports Park. One rider at a time against the clock on the race track! More exotic Time Trial bikes, high speed riding at maximum effort. Good photos of individual riders. Not sure what the access around the track will be since I've only been there for motor events.

Stage 4 Sat., Aug. 22nd - Road race Park City to Snowbird. This is the killer of all mountain stages. Race route leaves Park City, heads to Heber Valley, down Provo Canyon, up past Sundance over the brutal, but beautiful alpine loop. Down a fast, twisty descent on narrow roads to Alpine, then up another tough hill over Traverse Ridge to Draper, along the east bench, then up the monster climb of Little Cottonwood Canyon to finish at Snowbird Ski Resort. Zillions of vertical feet climbed - over 3,000 alone on the final climb. Great shots of suffering cyclists anywhere in Little Cottonwood Cyn. or the Alpine Loop. High speed downhill action at the Alpine Loop, but I hear they will be limiting car traffic there this year. Get there early or bring a bike or a moto to move around easier.

Stage 5 Sun., Aug 23rd Criterium Race around Library Square in Salt Lake. - lap after lap of fast, furious action on a tight course. Only four turns, but the one at State Street and 5th South should be the fastest. Look for big crashes in the pack fighting for position into the turns. Since the course is so small, it'll be easy to walk around and shoot at various locations. The mfg. booths and displays will be fun to see, too as well as the final awards ceremony.

Well, that's the scoop. As for myself, I'm thinking Big Mtn. on Wed., possibly Mt. Nebo on Thurs., Alpine Loop & Snowbird on Sat. and Library Square on Sun.

Who all is interested? Let's make some plans to meet up.
    Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  2. jshillhouse

jshillhouse

Apr 22, 2009
    Utah
    Sounds interesting, something that I haven't shot yet. I wouldn't mind hooking up with someone with the experience (Dave :biggrin:)  and shoot it. It sounds like it could be fun.

3. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    Sounds good, Jeff. Maybe we can drag Jeromy out from the racetrack to join us. I might borrow a motorcycle to get around on Saturday's stage, but the other days we could either meet at some point on the race course or take one vehicle if it's away in the canyons.

Here's a couple of shots from '08 on the descent of Big Mountain over to Emigration Canyon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave

4. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    OK - Anybody besides Jeff interested???

5. Jeromy

Jeromy

Mar 19, 2008
    Utah
    sounds like a good time. would be great to hook up and shoot some stuff.

6. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    Let's all stay in contact and the first of next week we can figure when and where to meet up.

Dave

7. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    Anybody else interested?

8. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    Race starts tomorrow - who's in?

9. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    IM out of town Dave

10. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    Tour of Utah began tonight with a short, fast, hard Prologue starting at the state Capitol Building uphill into City Creek Cyn. and back. I rode my bicycle over, so I didn't pack my D300. Took a few shots with my pocket camera, though.
    Dave

Bike weigh-in at the start house:

[​IMG]

Riders starting up the hill to City Creek Canyon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sole Shooter

Sole Shooter

Sep 20, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Sounds like fun. I missed the Tour of California but hope to do it next year.

Good luck guys.

12. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    Since the race is underway, I've started a thread in the sports section where I'll be uploading fotos of the race.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?p=2748218#post2748218

I'll be shooting Saturday's stage at the Alpine Loop and possibly Snowbird if I can leapfrog ahead. Sunday, I'l be down at City Hall for the criterium. Anybody interested, let me know and we'll try to meet up.

Enjoy,
    Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. Jeromy

Jeromy

Mar 19, 2008
    Utah
    i might have to try and get up to the canyon Saturday, and hopefully Sundays event as well. The miller stage tomorrow is right up my ally too.

14. Sole Shooter

Sole Shooter

Sep 20, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Good job capturing the race.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  15. daveR1

daveR1

Feb 29, 2008
    salt lake city
    thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.