1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Towards the sun (with a flash)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Mattes, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Hello.

I saw a nice sunset tonight and decided to leave the couch ... I think it was worth it.

A field nearby, my D3 with the ZF 35 and a SB800 with 1/2 CTO, and that's the result:

115479744.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 387801

View attachment 387802

View attachment 387803

I hope you like it. C&C is always welcome.

Regards

Mattes

2. Nice work--I've tried that before, but never thought to use warming gel! Yours look so much more natural!

3. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    #2 is my favorite. Love the colors.

4. jerryshenk

jerryshenk

Jan 8, 2009
    PA
    I like the use of flash to light up the foreground...never thought of that. Thanks for sharing.

5. Wow! All nice. The lasto one is my favorite.

Just a question: what do you mean by "SB800 with 1/2 CTO," ?

Thanks

Rui

D300, D200 coupled with a bunch of some fine Nikon glass

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

6. Hi Rui.

I used an SB-800 speedlight on my D3 (actually on the cam, a bit unusual for me). I wanted a slightly warm light from the flash to match the color of the sunset better, so I added a gel from the Lee Sample set, a half color temperature orange, of 1/2 CTO. Leaving the cameras white balance on "cloudy", I got nice, warm colors all over.

Regards

Mattes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.