Town Hall false color

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Allan, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Color

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Black/white

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. He is the false color version of the town hall. I posted a b/w version yesterday.
    Which do you like more?

i-XZ2VP9c-L.

2. I prefer this version for two reasons. The lower contrast in this image is a better fit with the overall mood of the scene for me and the light leads my eye more effectively to the primary subject, the town hall.

3. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I like the B&W version.

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I find the colors "disquieting" for lack of a better word. The center of the image... grass, trees and buildings..... have a yellow tint....whereas the outer edges of the image have a green tint. And sometimes the shift is in within one tree.

5. I assumed perhaps incorrectly that that is the whole point of implementing false color.

6. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I thought the center was a hot spot.

7. Rob, my lens doesn't appear on the Kolari list of good and bad lenses lenses for IR. My conversion, however, has the AR coating which is supposed to help a lot in eliminating hot spots.

8. For IR images the B&W is far better than your false color version. I really think that you would do well to spend some time on the Life Pixel website or one of the other sites and study up on how they handle false color shots. You can learn a lot by watching them process IR images and how they create false color in their images. Depending on the filter you use, some are easier than others to manipulate in order to come up with outstanding false color renditions.

9. I quite like this color version. The buildings are distinct and the sky and trees are beautiful.

10. Thanks for the comments Gordon. I have looked at Life Pixel's website and got help from people here, especially Karen. I have a dng profile for my camera to import into LR with a decent wb. After a few adjustments I bring the image into PS where I swap the channels. I go into hue/saturation and adjust hues with the dropper. Sometimes things work out well. Like here:

Late summer by a lake

However, when it doesn't work out ????????? I am not sure why. On this one it could be a hot spot. If not, then I don't know. I guess on those I go to b/w.

11. which lens is it?

12. Sigma 12-24 f/4

13. i don't know about that one for IR.. but you have a lot of direct flare and what appears to be an IR hot spot

14. hot spots are caused by internal reflections in the lens when the baffles are not coated with an IR absorbing paint - may be perfectly fine in the visible but reflective in the IR...

this simple example is a black hood in the visible (outside) but clearly reflective in the IR

original.

15. by the way.. that image above is from years ago.. but the lens Nikkor-UD 20mm f/3.5 (F-series Ai'd) was chosen because it is hot spot free... many of the older Ai lenses have the "red dot" focus point and possess the proper internal coatings for IR.. not all.. but most.

16. my list of go to IR lenses

Ai Nikkor-QD.C 15mm f/5.6 (C-series Ai'd)
    Ai Nikkor 18mm f/4
    Ai Nikkor 20mm f/4
    Ai Nikkor 20mm f/3.5
    Ai Nikkor-UD 20mm f/3.5
    Ai-S Nikkor 28mm f/2
    Ai-S Nikkor 28mm f/2.8
    Ai Nikkor 28mm f/3.5

AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
    AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

Auto Fisheye-Nikkor 8mm f/2.8 AI’d - Ai and Ai-S work also
    Ai Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/3.5 (K-series Ai'd)

17. i would also be careful with ND filters as they may limit the range to red excluding longer wavelength IR.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  18. I haven't used ND filters with IR.
    I do have the Nikon 16-35 which is on the "good" list.

19. sorry.. i thought i read that you used one.. maybe the B&W thread.

i never used the 16-35... by the way.. only way to know is to try it.. good list or not..

i once had the 14/2.8D which was on someone's good list that had a huge hot spot.. but it also depends on the angle of the light.

20. also.. you can make any lens flare.. one my best IR lenses is the 14-24/2.8G

Nikon D200 RG830,Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
    1/125s f/22.0 at 14.0mm iso200

original.