1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Track & Field Day Week III (part II)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Jeff Mims, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Fun stuff Jeff... the girl in the last shot cracks me up.

3. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Thanks. The girl is a friend of my daughters. She is a very sweet girl.

This was the 2 mile run. This is a true story. I overheard this group saying:
    "The 2 mile run is coming up, who do we have running?"
    "Nobody"
    "Why Not!"
    "We don't have anybody that can run two miles!"
    :biggrin:

4. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    I really like #3 Jeff...That's a good shot...And the last one is very funny.....
    All she needs is the "parade wave" and she's set....ha ha

Nice stuff.

5. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Rod,
    Thanks for the kind words. My daughter was cheering for the girl when she passed by. To her credit, the girl never gave up. The girl that won the race, had lapped the others. She was so far ahead, it looked like she was running by herself.

6. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    the 1st 2 pics here are noticably sharper than any others u posted

see if you can determine why

7. Nice job on capturing the fun and exciement.

I am sure it is mostly just me ... but my eye catches the verticals (fence posts - building siding) everytime. Very simple and quick to correct in Picasa or Photoshop and I bet the other editors have quick and simple fix. Beings we shoot quick and fast from the hip, most all of mine need a twist. ;-)

8. Nice captures this is one of the harder sports to capture. I hope MIG shares his PS techniques we would all be interested in hearing what they are so we can all get better.

9. As we all know, it is easier to comment than to do. ;-)
    Making things vertical vertical is easy in Pshop so it is one and probably only one thing I get right most of the time.

In Picasa, AFTER you have done all the cropping use the straighten function in the basic commands.

In PShop (V5.5), pick the ruler and trace a line you want to be vertical, then go to the Image dropdown, select rotate canvas, then select arbitrary and the needed angle is in the box ready for you to apply. Hit okay and the image will rotate the magic amount and it will make the image look like you took it vertical and square with the world. Yes, is used to iterate with the angle until I got it "close enough" . This way you can get it spot on in one try.

And in my little world, any picture that makes even one person smile and recall a fun time is a good picture and the major reason for taking the picture has been achieved.

You can see my surfer pictures at the link below - one of the members here thought and even said they were very poor - but they were fun for me. ;-) --- they will be posted at least till it warms up some here in Illinois so I can take some Mid-Illini conference baseball/softball/track/tennis pictures. We try and not go out when the temperature is below 60 and it just be for fun. And nearly all mine are for fun. -- (The link to the SHG images are not by me. I only made the scoreboard graphic)

10. The high jump shot is spot-on, Jeff! Looks like you getting along well with the IIN :wink: . Held one the other day and it was an absolute brick lol. I thought the D2XS was a beast. Heading off for spring break and might ping you when I get back for thoughts.

11. Hey Jeff,

These are very very good. You got some great results on these. Whatever your process was on this shoot, you nailed it. And I love that last shot, it's priceless!

12. dlee79

dlee79

Sep 2, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Love the smile in the last shot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.