1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Track: Get the hell out of my way!

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by YoMoe, May 10, 2011.

1. YoMoe

YoMoe

Feb 9, 2010
    NY
    5707521004_efd315d228_z.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I should note this was just the angle. The girl on the ground tripped over the hurdle and was not hurt. The girl in red was in the next lane and never made any contact with her. :) 

This was my first time shooting track. Some of the photos are a bit soft. I had just gotten there when I snapped the above photo. It is in Program mode - shutter 1/250. Right after this I switched to Shutter Priority, 1/800, ISO 200 Aperture was 4.5. Here is how that worked out.

5707551998_5e76ede816_z.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'd love any tips on what settings I should be using for outdoor track. I have the Nikon d300 and was using the Nikon 70-300mm D lens. Do you have any setting adjustments that you use for outdoor sports?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011
  2. mkemd21

mkemd21

Dec 1, 2008
    New York
    Here is what I generally use in a track meet.

Aperture priority. I generally use the largest aperture. This reduces background distraction and provides better subject isolation.

SS of 1/1000 or faster. I am willing to bump up the ISO to get faster SS.

AFC focusing to track athlete's movement.

Dynamic area focus. Shooters find success in single area focus as well as dynamic are focus. Personally I find more success with dynamic area focus. Shooters find success in 9 and 21 point dynamic area. I tend to use 21 point. 51 point area seems to be less successful as there are too many data points for the camera computer to process.

Some shooters prefer to focus on the athlete's torso. This is a bigger area and you will that easier to focus on. I prefer to focus on the face of an athlete but it is more difficult and it does require practice. Also, the failure rate is probably higher.

I prefer to use the highest frame rate and shoot a burst, then select the photo with the best action. Others find it successful to anticipate the action and just take one shot at a time.

3. ^pretty much as above, but I'm more a single pt focus guy...

4. YoMoe

YoMoe

Feb 9, 2010
    NY
    hmmm... Aperture Priority - I wouldn't have thought of that but it makes sense. I will try it next time. I was using single point and trying to get their face but they were going so fast I often couldn't get the focus box on the face while keeping all their limbs in the frame. I will try dynamic area. Thanks so much for your advice!

5. mkemd21

mkemd21

Dec 1, 2008
    New York
    Just thought of a couple more things.

Turn VR off. At higher SS, not only VR does not help, it actually slows down the focusing mechanism. Since your subjects are not stationary, VR is not helpful here.

Set up the AF-ON button for focusing. That way you can use your thumb depressing the AF-ON button to track focus. Once you are ready to take a picture, you then use use your index finger to depress the shutter. The general approach of depressing the shutter half way to track focus seems to be more error prone since you use one finger to do two tasks (focusing and taking a picture).

6. Russ_

Russ_

Feb 20, 2011
    New Zealand
    I use manual with auto-ISO, but if you use Aperture priority and auto-iso set the minimum shutter to 1/750 or whatever you're comfortable with, maybe 1/1000. And from what I've read, turn VR off from 1/500 or faster, apparently it can degrade the photos at those speeds.

7. YoMoe

YoMoe

Feb 9, 2010
    NY
    I did have the VR on. I'll try turning it off for next time. I will also look into AF-ON I've never tried it. Time to dust off my manual.

8. Russ_

Russ_

Feb 20, 2011
    New Zealand
    It takes some practice, but well worth the effort.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.