Track shots

I few recent shots of a track meet, all comments welcome, constructive criticism sought.

1224412238_tutmM-M-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1223713790_XMCBL-M-2.jpg

1224411347_tEdxu-M.jpg

1223691408_eQqvj-M-1.jpg

1223730641_UfYF7-M-2.jpg

Ed

Nice, great focus, do you pre-focus or track them?

Thanks, I track them. I set my D300 up to use one focus point. I use that to help me frame the photo, for example for the hurdles I'll set it off to the side that the hurdlers are going to. (If the runners are going from my right to my left, I'll lock the focus point in on the left side of my view finder).

It also seems that I have a thing against feet. So when I'm going for a full-body shot I'll hold the camera in the portrait orientation and then set my focus point at the top of the viewfinder.

I un-couple my focus control from my shutter release and only use the AF button to focus. I will pre-focus when I expect action that I know where it will be, but I won't be able to focus on it while it's happening (a blocked punt in football).

The other thing I do is to not show you any of the 80% that weren't in good focus, those get deleted. :smile:

^+1, LOL.

Like the one facing the hurdler better, great light out there.

I brought along my Pacific Northwest softbox (a few hundred feet of stratus clouds). Most of the light is artificially induced through a variety of layers in CS5 and then masking away part of the image. My latest favorite is to duplicate the background, use Multiply mode to saturate the colors, then add a mask over the multiply layer and mask in or out selectively using a low-opacity brush.

How far west of Boston? I'm originally from Holden MA.

Ed

#3 for me. Good lighting, framing is well done, nice and sharp focus.

Dallas

Thanks, I was hoping that someone would say they liked that one. I spent about a half-hour on her pony tail to get the tips to shine like that.

Which reminds me, from my basketball shots I could make a gallery called "Pony tails as weapons".

Ed

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom