Trade 1 of my D2X bodies for a D2Hs?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Steve S, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Granted, I do love the extreme cropability of my 2X, but at the same time, I also hate working with those ginormous files, even with a smokin' Reznick puter! Definitely want to keep one 2X body for my part time Portraiture biz, but for most of my shooting, it's just plain 'ol knock around fun stuff, mainly birding, much of which I almost always delete immediately after looking at anyway! :wink: I do have long lenses, (200-400VR & 500 AFS II f4), so if I'm ever presented with some decent birding opportunities, I shouldn't have to crop too much.
    That said, I'm thinking of trading one of my 2X bodies for a 2Hs, primarily for it's reduced file size. What are everyone's opinion on this idea, and what price difference should I expect?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2005
  2. You and I are faced with the same dilema Steve. I have a D2H which I dearly love but have difficulty when a customer orders a 16x20 or larger print. That is especially true when my image is not a perfect exposure and/or the WB is off. I wouldn't trade my D2H for anything and love the small file size most of the time. I will be looking at the D200 when it comes out just because of this problem.

If I were you I would definitely consider the D2H for the majority of your shooting. Love it.

3. Steve,

I don't own a D2 series camera but I've been doing a lot of research on them and have come to the conclusion that the D2Hs is a far better camera than most people give it credit for. I think you'd be really happy with a D2x and D2Hs rather than 2 D2X's. Have you seen Ron Reznick's camparison of these cameras? He's really a big proponent for the D2Hs:

Ron Reznick's Review

Also check out this page on the D2Hs which I've compiled:

D2Hs Reviews and Image Galleries

I plan on upgrading my D70 soon and will likely go for a D2Hs for event photography (my bread and butter) even though I can probably justify the cost of the D2X - I just don't want to deal with 12MP files! Even with the 6MP from my D70, I spend far too much time in Photoshop and I shudder to think of working on 300-500 12MP images for each of my shoots. The megapixel thing is largely a myth in my opinion, the only time you need it is if you are doing severe image cropping. D2Hs image quality surpasses that of the 6MP cameras and it has much better noise performance too. You'll find many people who own both a D2Hs and D2X end up using the D2Hs more.

4. Hi Steve,

I don't own a d2x but a s3 and a d2h and now a d2hs.
    I must say WOW.
    The noise level is just fantastic. very brilliant colours and a very good WB
    This camera is a huge diffrence to the D2h.

I will try to make some compairisons bwteen the d2h,dh2s and the s3 the coming days.

This regarding noice levels

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Steve :

<puzzled look> Why don't you just shoot in the reduced 6MP mode then ? If it's the file size, you can manage that handily, but you have the 12MP available as needed.

And having two of the same body reduces the need for other gear/fittings.

From what I've read, the D2Hs has some of the same issues with the AF function as the D2X, so that's not going to make a marked difference. I suppose you could get a good D2H if it's the fast acquisition you want, and save a few bucks.

Or am I missing the point entirely ?

John P.

6. Yeah. Pjohnp beat me to my first thought.

Have we EVER seen a critical comparison of the D2X at 6mp mode vs a D2H(s) or a D1X or a D100/70?>??
    Ever?

I shoot at the reduced res. modes quite a lot.
    If I'm at a kids birthday doing snapshots or if I'm out on the street shooting at 1/30th sec the 12mp is just wasteful of space, superfluous and, frankly...silly.
    Heck, i was shooting some snaps of strangers(to me at least) for a flier my wife needed shots for. They were going to end up 1.5 x 2 inch B&W's anyway so I used 3mp mode...even cropped half to 1.5mp, who would know, see or care the difference.
    We all(me anyway)feel more gonadaly endowed to have the whompin' 12+mp at our disposal but, so often, what a waste.

Real point (yes, there is one): Has anyone critically compared 6mp shots to that of other cams....and yeah, yeah, I know, real men shoot RAW, precluding reduced resolution. Jest my .02

For grins I'd love to know how D2X 3mp compares to an old D1.
    BTW I saw a pristine-as-new D1 for $600 this week. Good cam for a student?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2005
  7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    The reason I hardly ever use the HSC mode on my 2X is the reduced area in the viewfinder. I find that feature more of a gimmick than anything truly useful to me. I want to use the whole viewfinder. One of the reasons for owning a pro level camera, the large viewfinder. Though I admit, I'm also considering the 2Hs for it's perportedly better high ISO performance over the 2X. Just ask Twig, he definitely has an opinion on that subject! :wink: :wink: :wink:

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Vernon :

If you're reading my mind, be afraid. Be very afraid. :eek: :Shocked: :eek:

Not that I've come across. I think the comparison would have some merits for the person who'd trying to work out combinations of bodies, but it could never be a peer-to-peer comparison as the bodies are so different.

Sensei Ron's done some rather amazing comparisons on the D2H and the D2Hs, and I'd have to say if I was just buying a camera in the $3K-plus range, I'd probably go with the D2Hs now, given the improvements in the system, especially with respect to noise. Down in the $1.5-2K range, it would likely be a D2H, although I'm still rather pleased with all that the D100 does.

It's the differences in cost that dictate the decisions for most of us, of course. I still use a D100 because I don't feel the urge to drop $5K right now on a new D2X body, and the D2Hs doesn't have a sufficiently high enough set of improvements for me to kick over $3.5K on that body. I don't want to start over in the lens side of the house and dump all my Nikon glass for another platform either.

But if I wanted maximum flexibility with a higher price point, I'd probably go with the D2X right now, as the 12MP is a compelling increase in resolution, especially with shots that require a lot of cropping. I travel all the time, and I just can't bring multiple bodies and a set of lenses at the same time as all my gear for work, so my mileage is probably a lot different than many other people's...

... but we'll see what all this talk about a D200 brings, eh ? :Mysteriou :Swirl: :Mysteriou

John P.

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Steve :

Well, I can't argue about the viewfinder. That's a very personal thing, and if you dislike the decreased view, well and fair enough.

I'm still of the thought that the available 12MP would be handy for those times when you'll have to do a major crop and retain detail when it's blown up, however.

John P.

10. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I find I switch back & forth From HSC to Full view a whole lot more than I thought I would . I love that feature.