Trade-In VS. Sale

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sarhento, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Hi Folks:

Those of you who have experience in both, which gives better value -trade-in or sell? I'm thinking of parting with my D1x and acquire one of my dream lenses -the 70-200 VR and other accessories. I also have other lenses which I'd like to trade-in or sell.

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

You almost always can get significantly more by selling it yourself.

3. JordanLFW

JordanLFW Guest

Unless the store is extremely generous selling it yourself is the way to go, for anything really. A guitar shop was once totally honest and told me I'd make close to $150 more selling it on ebay then trading it in, and I did!

So heres another recomendation for selling it yourself.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sell it on your own....

5. B&H and others are going to give you the equiv. of blue book on a car. And on top of that they may not want it. I saw a guy selling top of the line Mamiya at B@H and they did not want all of it, they already had to much of particular items. Sell it yourself. CS Dayan

6. It looks like the unanimous recommendation is to personally sell rather than trade-in.

Thanks everyone.

7. I have had good luck at KEH. They used to have a web site that would tell you exactly what they will pay for your equipment. I sold a Coolpix that I could not get a good price for on Ebay and they were pretty generous and very professional. I sent the camera and recieved a check very quickly.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Depends on the market for your items...

Sometime you may make out better on your own.

If your willing to take the time they may take to sell, and shipping and all that stuff.

9. I just checked KEH. They are offering $1278 for a D1x w/ buffer upgrade, CD, charger, battery and CF card in EX+ condition, which is like new with no dings or scratches and low use.

I think I would try Ebay with a reserve first.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. Thanks, Tosh for the link to a potential buyer.

Right now I am not yet seriously considering the idea of selling/trading-in my D1x, but if I do I might sell it to a fellow Canadian as I don't want to deal with cross-border hassle. But then again, you'll never know :)