Trading my D2h for a D2x

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Apr 3, 2005.

1. I would not post this at DPR because I would probably be lambasted. I received my new D2h Friday, ordered from B&H. I went out and took a bunch of shots inside and out with and without flash and also with my D2h and with the D1x. I blew them up side by side and cropped them and blew up the crops using different interpolation schemes. I used a range of ISO settings. I did it with just out of the camera images and also with images from both cameras with post production to make them the best I could using PS CS and NC, individually and together. I also applied Noise Ninja in the process where needed.

My conclusion was that the side by side comparison between the D1x and the D2h ultimatley using the best post production tweaking that I know how to do produced images similar enough that I would not trade cameras just for the image result. (I have been using NC since the inception and Photoshop since version 5x). The D2h has obvious and well known advantages over the D1x and for that reason, I strongly suggest the upgrade from D1x to D2h if you are not going to need a larger end file.

BUT and this is a big but! Not Butt as in I am a big butt, and yes I am, (I figured I would save you the trouble). There is another part to the whole camera buying decision making process for a non pro, advanced hobby photographer. It is strictly emotional. I think most or all of you know exactly what I am talking about.

Do I need the bigger files? No, not really. My D1x has served me well all these years and you read what I said about the file difference. But people argue, I may have to crop severly to get just the right effect and A D2h will not go that deep. Yeah right! I am not buying that argument entirely, because I cropped severly and you can actually (if you know how) create a very nice cropped image at a very reasonable size from the D2h. But what about that once in a lifetime shot that you want to blow up to the size of Staples Center in Los Angeles? Well in about 5 years of serious amateur photography it hasn't happened yet. But what about all the reported incidents of meter failure? It's just a matter of time right? I sort of doubt that one since i have only really heard anectodal incident rates so far, not widespread (thousands) of known failures. But even so, Nikon has responded well and fixed them all free or pretty cheap. So, damn. There goes another argument. I know your all thinking well if he can do what he wants with a D2h and it has a much more managable file size and is faster than the D2x then what is this all about. Why spend the money for shipping and and going to all the trouble and expense of exchanging a perfectlhy good D2h for a much much much much more expensive D2x that does pretty much the same thing with just a larger file size?

Because, "If the picture matters, the camera matters!!!).

(actually I just want it and I have decided that I will do what ever I have to do to get it.) You only live once blah blah blah blah blah! That's my justification and that seems to be enough.

Don't know why I felt the need to unload, but it did feel good. I have my RMA number and have reboxed my D2h and will run not walk to UPS tommorow to send it back. Monday morning, I will start calling around and looking for anyone who will take my money for this new must have addiction.

Anyone know of any place that has one in stock?

Yes I am crazy, but my motto is the one who has the most toys at the end wins!

2. I went through a similar thing when it came time to upgrade. I decided to get the D2x because I felt like getting the top shelf for a change, nothing wrong with that either! Why not treat myself good, I deserve it and my wife agreed so that is what I did. I am loving my decision too! :D :D :D

Go for it!

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Scott, that's a lot of words when you nailed it in 5:

And you're probably gonna like it too. ;)

PS. I'll check your DPR post later on, when I make my weekly (or so) visit.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I really liked your reasoning all the way up to. I think I'll post on DPR.

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Not good

5. Hi Chris,
    Yeah, I know and you're right. But I have been going through a week long streak of indicision puncutated by moments of clear thinking. I had pretty much decided that the D2h was enough for me and even after receiving it, I continued to try to convince myself that it was enough for me. actually, now looking back, I think I knew all along that this was what I was going to do. But indecision is a powerful adversary when your wants conflict with your needs and ability to achieve either.

The first post was a cathartic cleansing emotional outburst that I just needed to get off my chest. You either understand and relate to it or your don't and think I am some kind of schistophrenic shopp-a-holic out of control. You can condemn me or sympathize with me, but you have to admit it is nice to be free of incecision and I am very happy now that I have made the decision that I wanted to make all along and just felt like sharing.

I suppose to a small extent, I am looking for some support, since I am spending a hell of a lot of money for a hobby. Yeah, I screwed up and got the H when i should have gotten the x originally. The money thing was tough, and especially since I can't argue that my photography is going to be significantly better now with the x. But in the limited time that I am lucky enough to have to enjoy my chosen hobby, I want to enjoy it to the maximum that I can.

[/i]

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Scott,

If you afford it and still pay the rent, why the heck not. 8)

I thought long and hard about either the D2X or the 500 f4, to get more light on the pixels, for exactly the same reason as you. I'm an amateur that doesn't always get it perfect, and I'd like to be able to crop.

I decided though, that after spending about $15K last year on camera equipment, that I just couldn't justify the $$ right now. So, to make it up to myself, I've just ordered:

- A Gitzo 1325 CF tripod.

- A full Wimberley head.

- A 5th camera bag (to carry stuff around while out shooting)

- PS CS

- Two Fred Miranda plug-ins.

Think I can get by for the rest of the year without an X?

:p

Frank

7. hi Gale,
    Yeah the DPR thing was kind of dumb. I know the dogs of war will probably see this a great feast to tear into with their caustic or sarcastic ballyhoo but part of the reason I (we) post and read others posts is for the amusement of interacting with those whith whom I (we) would never want to sit down with over coffee and discuss what ever and also with those with whom I would love to sit down over coffee with but never could because of distance or practical issues. Posting in forums is somewhat anonymous and nothing I read in response to any of my posts is taken too seriously because the responder can not be an influence in my life. Some responses make me smile, some make me think and some may agrivate me. I could say the same thing of a movie or TV show that I watch, but once the lights go on and the credits role, I don't ever stay upset with the actor(s) because I don't like the role or the message of the movie. I just take it as what it is... entertainment.

I have learned many things from posters and have seen massive amounts of misinformation and a whole bunch of emotional responses. It never fails to amaze me how many angry people there are at DPR and that is what i like about this forum. But, like the rebel without a cause, sometimes you just have to go to town to walk on the wild side.

8. Hey Flew,

Definitely, rent and groceries come first, but I somehow found a way to squeeze it into the budget. It is a bit of a stretch but I can afford it. I don't recommend and I am not in any way endorsing, condoning or trying to convince anyone to put it on a credit card to make payments .

One of the ways I have decided to offset the cost is to sell my pristine D1x and accessories. This is not an offer (yet). When I have a few spare moments, I will gather all the accessories that are just D1x applicable, ( I think I have everything there is for the D1x) and put them all together as a package deal. when i have it ready, I will post it here for sale first before I go to Ebay. It will be a great catch for someone. I take better care of my equipment than I do of myself and the D1x is in superb condition.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Scott,

I've seen some of your D1X shots, so I know that someone will get a good cam.

Can't wait to see your D2X shots. :wink:

Frank

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Scott,

As an amateur, it's hard to gauge how much money to spend on equipment. You can take chances and side-steps with your photography that a pro could not afford to do. Since you are unleashed from expectations, there is no guidance, and no limit, to your expenses.

So following your emotions is as good a reason as any.

11. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    Hi Scott,

My husband died unexpectedly two years ago one day before his 62nd birthday and the one thing I have learned from his death is that it makes no sense to deprive ourselves of anything that we can comfortably afford. Life is way too short and if the D2X makes you smile, then I am standing up and cheering for you and saying go, go,go!

Hope that helps.
    Nancy

12. Hello Nancy,

Thank you very much for sharing. The irony is the my wife feels the same as you and encourages me to have what I want and can manage financially. I am the one who says money is security and security is independance. I am about 3 or 4 years from retirement and we are okay and on course financially so while this extravagance is not part of the plan, it will not change our course or delay our arrival.

I don't really have many outlets that I enjoy and this is one that I really really do enjoy, so I am yeilding to the impulse on the logic that life is short and precious and you have to do what you can to enjoy it today and tommorow, not just tommorow.

I appreciate your sharing and encouragement.

Best regards

13. Congratulations, Scott... or should I reserve that for when you actually get your d2x? Well, making the decision was the tough part. Everything here on out will just be pure happiness :D.

But you did, and you weren't 8). Maybe it's not as bad over there as you thought.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hmmmm. Since we left, dpr has calmed down quite a bit. I'm sure there's no cause and effect involved however. :roll: :lol:

15. If anyone can tell me where I could get the D2x I would appreciate it. My credit card is burning my pocket like crazy!!!