Traditional photo film fading fast

Fading fast? Maybe it's down a bunch but 20 million rolls of film a year is a nice little niche market. Actually it's a rather huge market. I doubt you'll be able to find as many different sorts of film, and finishing it won't be as easy as it is today even 5 years from now but it won't go anywhere.

I just did a quick google and in 08 there were less than a million new vinyl records sold. But still, lots of bands still press vinyl, you can order new vinyl off amazon (and I'm sure lots of other places easily), you can buy new turn tables quite easily and the used market is huge. It's easier to get a turntable than it is a VCR.

If less than a million units is enough to keep the vinyl industry going then 20 million units a year will more than keep the film industry going.

280,000 people actually bought a NEW film camera last year?

EEEEEEDIOTS! there's such a saturated second hand market for that gear.

280,000 people actually bought a NEW film camera last year?

EEEEEEDIOTS! there's such a saturated second hand market for that gear.
I wonder what kind of film cameras they were? You don't see many of them on the shelves anywhere. Saneal in calgary has quite a few of them, but Saneal is notorious for over stocking most everything, that's why that place is cool. For nikon film cameras they have a few f65's and some f80's (I think) left over. By their film they even have a few packages of those ancient one use flash bulbs that look like they've been there since Moses was a cowboy. They're probably also the only store in the world that has a new in box 20-35 f/2.8 and a new in box 35-70 f/2.8. No matter how rare a new item is they've usually got it in stock, they order alot of stuff. I don't think the owner minds, they become interesting conversation pieces. They've even got a couple of new in box leica R's in stock still.

Fading fast for whom? Master photographers and Fine Art photographers keep on using film.
I attended a Hasselblad seminar for their digital medium format cameras and it was a surprise when photographers were asked how many still use film and a large proportion of them did. In the majority, these were wedding photographers.
Although I do not want to start a war, I would like to point out to certain facts about film.
The first one is that while digital has been in continuous development for less than 20 years film has been in use for over a century.
Dynamic range with film is superior to digital, especially color negative film or b&w. I can only speak on my own but I see tonalities with film that I cannot see with digital but I admit digital is getting close. I have to see yet a converted digital print that satisfied my taste. Printing a negative on fiber base paper is a tough act to follow with digital.
The incredible details seen in a slide film with a medium format or large format camera cannot be touched by digital. Those enlargements are awesome and nothing else right now comes close.
Digital is very convenient and very expensive. It requires expensive computers and peripherals including costly software. It takes time and big efforts to learn. Cameras are outdated fast and new models tend to debut every year and a half or so. Follow the trend and soon your bank account will be exhausted.
Digital eventually could replace film completely or so I think. Photographers using large format cameras will have to adapt if that happens. I do not really see both media competing in the near future as digital keeps on getting better. Except for medium format and large format cameras, 35mm film cannot compare with digital when it comes to enlargements. With film we were using first Tri-X "pushed" to high ISO to obtain images in low light but those images were plagued with grain, something that did not bother us. Then came Fuji with an ISO 800 color film that was very good for medium format use. Kodak had T-Max 1600 for low light and the film with its tabular grain performed very well. Digital has changed all that.
Will film eventually find its demise? I hope not. There is no questions that digital has killed film among many photographers that were using 35mm film in the past. New generation of photographers are more prone to digital than film and photography schools, except for some exceptions, are teaching digital exclusively.
I like and use film. I still have a good supply of it in my freezer.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I wonder what kind of film cameras they were?

If they count disposables, I know lots of people who buy them for things like parties and the beach.

I bought a N80 last year, so count me as one who still shoots film (not a lot, but its fun) and is not an eeeeidiot.:biggrin:

There is nothing* to compare to correctly exposed 5x4 transparency of Velvia 50...

*ok maybe an 10x8 but that's a rare and expensive beast

Last year we went to family re union. There were several "kids" there. I was the guy who documented the event, but we gave each of the kids a disposable film camera for the day. They all had a blast.

I keep intending to shoot film with my old Minolta SRT, but I keep running out of time! :tongue: I am keeping the camera though, because I'm interested. It's expensive, though, if one does not develop one's own film... for pro grade film I gotta send it in somewhere, and then pay to have the prints scanned onto CD, etc. etc...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom