Trains..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    For the life of me I couldn't figure out what forum to post this, so here it is.
    This is an HO scale 0-8-0 switching locomotive, sometimes called a Yard Goat.
    These were made with my D100 and 50mm Nikon lens..
    and here is a close crop of the first shot...
    The model is about 2 to 3 inches tall.
    These things are keeping me from even THINKING about the new D200... :smile:
    Jarrell

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Jarrell. My boys are going to freak!!! You must post more trains. These are wonderful. When they are older I plan on getting into this.

Thanks,

3. Beautiful model. Who makes that?

I just found a 2-6-6-2 engine for my son for Christmas. He REALLY wants a Challenger or a "Big Boy" but nobody makes those right now. Most of his stuff is in N.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wonderful trains Jarrell.

Must be lots of fun :>)) Glad to see you enjoying that hobby so much.

Thank you for sharing.
    How is Carol and please say hello for me and give Hannah a hug :>))

5. The detail is amazing Jarrell. Sounds like a fun hobby and one I have never had.

6. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Patrick, there has been a lot of discussion about this on the model railroading forums, that is.. when should you get kids interested. The general consensus is, the sooner the better. Three years old isn't too early. Of course, you would get them things like Thomas The Tank at that age.. :smile:
    It seems that they will stay interested up and until GIRLS and CARS come along, then drift away from it only to come back when they have kids.
    Funny how GIRLS have so much to do with everything, isn't it. :biggrin:
    Jarrell

7. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    This one is made by, what was LifeLike, recently purchased by Walthers. Wow, I'm surprised your son goes for the N scale... but, then maybe not. The size might be right up his alley. I have a 2-6-6-4 made by (actually imported by) Broadway Limited Imports, in HO scale. It's a very nice engine also. It really is a good way for you and your son to spend time together. Times he won't ever forget.
    Jarrell

8. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Gale, Carol is doing fine. Hardly limping at all now. Right now she is trying to dry Abbey (parrot), who took a notion to fly into the sudsy water in the sink.
    Hannah really is getting sweeter every day. Me.. I'm trying to live through a bad cold. :Sick:
    Take care, Gale.
    Jarrell

9. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Gordon, stay away from them. They're really eat into your lens/camera budget... :eek:
    Jarrell

10. These trains are too clean, gotta mess 'em up a li'l... that's the only way I know they're not the real big originals! What great captures, Jarrell!!! I think I'll stick to len$e$ and camera$, maybe train$ are a guy-thing. *LOL*

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jarrell,
    Thank you for the up-date. Sorry Carol has had a prob :<(( Did not know.

Carol hope you are running around real soon :>))

Jarrell those colds are so uncomfortable. Get well soon.

Please stop by more often and show us your great Images and I love TRAINS..
    Grew up by the railroad tracks as a kid. The old steam ingines. Loved the conductor to wave at me. Love the the caboos :>)))))) He used to wave to.

Fond memories.
    Kind Regards

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jarrell,

Sandi took the words right out of my mouth. :eek:

Just dirty them up a little, and you won't be able to tell that they are models. :smile:

13. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    My youngest is 2. He lives and breaths Thomas the Tank. We have several Thomas toys and many dvd's. I've memorized the 4 DVD's that we have because they are on continuous loop.

I would like to get them the Thomas set with the wooden tracks. Looking on Ebay for the right deal.

Thanks for sharing this hobby with us.

Regards,

14. I agree with you Sandi. Trains must be a guy thing, however me and my brother played with a Lionel set when we were both little so I guess it could be a girl thing if you are a tomboy.

Plus I don't want anything getting into my way of LLD...LOL...

15. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Melissa, I think you're right. I belong to a model railroad group and 99% of the members are guys. There is, however, a husband and wife duo that are members. I was very surprised to find that the largest photography club in the area has about 20 regulars at their meetings, and the local model railroad group has 15. I would have thought there wouldn't have been that many mr'ers. There is a model train expo of sorts in Atlanta this weekend and it will literally be packed with people to the point it'll be difficult to negotiate the aisles between vendors.
    When I got into it, I had no idea.. :smile:
    Jarrell

16. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
  17. Jarrell,

Train hobby is very expensive and if I still had that old train set, it would be worth a mint today.