Transferring photos from iPad to Mac...?

I´m thinking of getting me an iPad (32?) to store my photos when out in the fields or on holidays.

Some questions have occurred:

I have a 13" powerbook pro I rarely use as I have a 24" iMac at home. Would be a nice refund selling this book to get the iPad which is much smaller and more handy...?

I´m not so sure what model I would have to get, the 16GB could be too small, but the 32GB should be sufficient.

Main question is: How can I get them photos out of iPad and transfer them into either my Mac (at home) or even have them fly to my mobile.me account?
Will they be the same size as out of camera?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're asking about transferring TO the iPad from your camera & then from the iPad to your iMac once you get home, right?

TO the iPad is the camera connection kit while in the field. You can transfer over the raw files so that will be the same size as out of camera. You can also use iTunes of course if you're just looking at transferring older pics.

FROM the iPad you can use any of the normal photo transfer programs you use when you plug in a Card Reader/Camera. Nikon Transfer always pops up for me when I plug in an iPhone/iPad just as if I plugged in a compact flash card into the reader.

You should also be able to upload files to Mobile Me one at a time from the iPad. Not sure if Mobile Me supports raw so if you're shooting raw you might have issues there. You'd be uploading full size unless you did some editing on the iPad itself with an App...

He's asking about using the iPad when on location to upload photos to, but how to get them off the iPad and onto his computer when he gets back home.

I'm curious to know this as well because I don't have an iPad, but if I did, i'm not sure i'd use it as a storage device and wondered if it was more difficult than it sounds or not.

You can do it for free, like this...

1. Turn your PC and iPad on.
2. Connect your iPad to your PC.
3. Open iTunes and, under iPad, select the photos you want to transfer.
4. Click and drag the selected photos to your desktop or selected folder and they will be transferred to your PC.

Or you can use an app... (I have not tried either of these yet)

Free trial or $29.95 for full version...

http://www.ipad-transfer.com/ipad-transfer.html

Or this one...

$2.99 on the app store...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-transfer-app/id365152940

As you are using Macs, you can use Image Capture included in OSX to easily do this. When the iPad (or iPhone) is connected, fire up Image Capture in your Applications folder and the iPad/iPhone should be listed as one of the attached devices in the Image Capture window. You can then view and import your iPad images from there. There are also checkboxes on the left side of the window so that you can have Image Capture start automatically when you plug in your iPad and also a checkbox to enable auto deletion of the images on the iPad if you do a file import. Cheers!

Thanks to all of you!
As you said, there wont be any difficulties transferring my shots in both directions: in and out of the iPad.
Furthermore this thing will slip into my bag easily and with less weight.
My only remaining problem is if it´s worth getting the more expensive iPad2 or the much cheaper first one.Have to sleep over that.:wink:

Just as addition:

I´ve got the white iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G 64 GB and am happy with it. I recently stored more than 400 photos in it. When I connected it at home with my iMac Nikon Transfer opened and transfered the photos on my extern hard disk just as if I had put a chip card into my reader. It´s nice to see the photos on the road before reaching home. I have bought an adaptor that can either grab the memory card of my D90 or the USB cable from my D700.
Well, now I´m thinkin´of selling my 13" Macbook Pro...

Last edited by a moderator:
Westlake Village, Ca. and 20 mi NW of Prescott, Az
Thanks to all of you!
As you said, there wont be any difficulties transferring my shots in both directions: in and out of the iPad.
Furthermore this thing will slip into my bag easily and with less weight.
My only remaining problem is if it´s worth getting the more expensive iPad2 or the much cheaper first one.Have to sleep over that.:wink:

Regarding the ipad2/ipad1 decision: The price difference vs performance improvement is a very good trade off.

FWIW, we had a WiFi ipad1 and replaced it with an ipad1 3G. We find the 3G very useful and worth the extra initial expense. We haven't upgraded to the ipad2 yet as the original works fine for our applications.

good luck with whatever you purchase
JohnG

I have both the first-gen iPad and the iPad 2. If I could have only one of them I would definitely choose the iPad 2, as it is faster -- I can see the difference when surfing the web and going from site to site. I also find that it is more comfortable to hold in my hand. I agree that the 3G is the better choice when looking at the decision between WiFi-only and 3G + WiFi.

Something to take into consideration as time goes on and we have the new iOS 5 -- chances are pretty good that the iPad 2 wil work much more smoothly and quickly with it than the first-gen iPad. Ditto for iPhones for that matter: the iPhone 4 is more likely to be more comfortable with iOS 5 than the iPhone 3GS will be.

I also have the feeling that with the advent of iOS 5 we will see not just the new iPhone 5 but maybe also a slightly updated iPad 2 (iPad 2.5?).

I do have the feeling that when iOS 5 makes its debut that while it may still be possible to install and use it on the iPhone 3GS and the first-gen iPad that it just will not be as satisfactory a user experience as with the iPhone 4 G and the iPad 2. Needless to say, the iPhone 5 and (the possible) next iteration of the iPad will work beautifully with the new iOS. A friend was recently talking about buying an iPhone 3GS for $50 or whatever it is....a couple of us have managed to convince her that this is not the way to go, that while it may be OK right now, once iOS 5 hits in a few months, she may find that the 3GS is frustratingly slow. I would guess that the same will apply to the first-gen iPad as well. I guess I'll find out first-hand when iOS comes to us and I can see how it works on the various devices that are available to us right now......

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom