Trap Focus

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Ken-L, May 10, 2005.

1. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I just came across this post from another forum. I had not known about this before and will give it a try...

I'm wondering if anyone has used Trap Focusing, and has a comment on it's effectivness, or any special tips on it's use.

Here's the info from that post:

2. Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Apr 24, 2005
    Alaska
    The Nikonos RS has a trap focus mode. In over a decade of using RS's I have never used this mode even when doing remote control photography, which I have done a fair amount of. One may not feel the need to be as selective when shooting with a dSLR compared to film, but then there will be the task of editing - at least the subject should be in focus. Manually releasing the shutter IMHO is the better way to go.
    Cheers from Alaska!
    Tom

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I've never used Trap Focus either and like you never had a problem with manually releasing the shutter in 35mm or digital.

That's why I was wondering if anyone that has used it could say it helped or found a situation where it would be better than manually releasing the shutter. I haven't gotten around to trying it myself yet.

4. I'm wondering if the trap focus is maintained after the shutter fires. If it's only a single occurance I can't see using it that much but if it maintains focus it could be useful in races or events where multiple people pass the same focus point...

When my camera gets back, I'll be sure to try this out.

_/oe

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I would think that the focus achieved by pressing the "AE-L/AF-L" button would be released after the shutter fires, and you would have to refocus. That is how that button usually behaves, and the author of the original post I found said nothing about releasing the focus in some way, nor did I see any references to that either.

To me the biggest bother would be changing the "AE-L/AF-L" Button setting in the menu if this was not the setting preferred, each time Trap Focus is desired. That makes me wish there was a "programmable" function button that could be used like a Macro for functions like this...or maybe two such buttons....or more?