Travel insurance

I know this topic has come up before. But, I'm interested in any insights or experiences people may have had with a certain aspect of travel insurance.

I plan to complete a long road trip from Chicago through Nova Scotia and into Newfoundland this summer. This is a four week trip (and will involve taking my car from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland on the ferry--a 17 hour trip to the east side of Newfoundland).

I already made reservations for lodging for all 28 nights and for the ferry. However, I won't need any insurance for the cost of the trip as every penny is fully refundable within about 48 hours of the trip.

What I am concerned about is medical insurance. Is it possible to purchase a policy that includes just health insurance and insurance if evacuation is necessary? I started looking at some policies online and the ones I've viewed so far don't seem adequate. I'm guessing if an emergency should arise in some remote part of Newfoundland that I might need coverage for some high dollar amounts!

Again, any insights would be appreciated. I think I'll call my existing health insurance company in the morning to see what they suggest.

Glenn

Last edited:
I don't have any insight into international policies or evacuation insurance but there is something else that might be relevant. A couple years ago we were in Barcelona having a wonderful trip when on the next to last day I got a severe case of food poisoning. I suffered through a day and a half confined to the hotel room and just trying to stay hydrated. The flight back was long and difficult.

When we got back, my wife mentioned the incident to an infectious disease physician that she knew and they were shocked that we weren't carrying a basic antibiotic kit consisting of Azithromycin, and levofloxacin. I also keep Imodium, Pepsid, antacid tablets and tylenol. You need to understand when and why to take them but they can salvage a trip.

BTW, getting sick had nothing to do with Barcelona - it can happen anywhere. A friend of mine ended up being hospitalized in Colorado with a similar problem.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Try Allianz, MH Ross, Travel Guard, and Travelex, as they all have medivac policies up to $1,000,000. When I went to Antarctica, I was required to purchase a policy that had a minimum of $500,000 worth of medivac insurance. The person that I am, I purchased a policy that had $750,000 worth of coverage (I was determined that if something happened, I was definitely getting home...!). I used MH Ross. It was a bit pricey, but my philosophy is "rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...".

they were shocked that we weren't carrying a basic antibiotic kit

My wife and I have been going to the same travel doctor for years. Her entire practice is recommending food practices and activities to avoid, administering inoculations and prescribing medicine for travel. She has recommended and prescribed antibiotics for us to use only if we get sick.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I contacted my health insurance company this afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised that my coverage extends to Canada—although only in the event of an emergency.

I think I will pass on evacuation insurance for this trip. I think my risk of receiving inadequate medical care is a bit less in Canada than in many other areas of the world. And, Canada is much closer than many other possible international destinations--so I have a much better chance of flying home unless I'm in really critical condition.

Glenn

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Justin and I always take with us a couple of Z packs.....and various meds for constipation, diarrhea, etc. However, we did have Travel Insurance when Justin had a heart attack in Croatia. It covered his stent, 3 days in ICU, flight home, etc. It was well worth the cost.

Glenn I was going to reply that your health insurance here covers you in Canada in an emergency. It does not work the other way for Canadians though. You think you might share a pic or 2 from your trip??

Glenn I was going to reply that your health insurance here covers you in Canada in an emergency. It does not work the other way for Canadians though. You think you might share a pic or 2 from your trip??
Yes...and I don't plan to be visiting Canadian hospitals during my stay unless it's an emergency--so I should be OK for a few weeks. I hope.

Here's a link to my favorites from my most recent trip to Iceland:
Iceland '18 Favorites

When I return from Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, I certainly plan to share my images. But, I won't be returning until late summer.

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
FWIW....when Justin had his heart attack in Croatia....he got better and cheaper care in the Croatian hospital than he would have gotten here in the States. Realistically, you can get good care in many parts of the world. I would think this also applies to Canada.

Justin and I always take with us a couple of Z packs.....and various meds for constipation, diarrhea, etc. However, we did have Travel Insurance when Justin had a heart attack in Croatia. It covered his stent, 3 days in ICU, flight home, etc. It was well worth the cost.
Cardio problems anywhere are the nightmare. I know skilled Croatian physicians and researchers though the standards of care can be different from what we (mostly, maybe not Miami!) have come to expect. And the language barrier presents a whole other level of difficulty.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Cardio problems anywhere are the nightmare. I know skilled Croatian physicians and researchers though the standards of care can be different from what we (mostly, maybe not Miami!) have come to expect. And the language barrier presents a whole other level of difficulty.
Actually they (Croatia and Europe) were using procedures for years that USA hospitals are just now adopting. And yes, the language barrier can be scary, but most doctors and many staff speak English. The doctors and staff took very good care of hubby and me. My only point it not to needlessly worry about getting care in other parts of the world....especially in somewhat modern locations.

FWIW....when Justin had his heart attack in Croatia....he got better and cheaper care in the Croatian hospital than he would have gotten here in the States. Realistically, you can get good care in many parts of the world. I would think this also applies to Canada.

You would most certainly get the care you needed here in the UK but contrary to some beliefs I do think efforts are made to recover the cost.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
You would most certainly get the care you needed here in the UK but contrary to some beliefs I do think efforts are made to recover the cost.
That's the reason it is good to have travel insurance. In our case, the travel insurance covered all the costs. Of course, we had to pay, then get reimbursed. But at least I didn't have to worry about costs while we struggled through the situation.

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
I have always bought medical travel insurance through USAA, CF Travel Insurance Intl. They are a separate company just give good deals for USAA members.
In 2007 or 8, I had a bad fall in rural Myanmar off of a small cliff; then taking a shower to clean up I slipped and fell again, knocked myself out, gave myself a black eye and wrenched my shoulder.
Got a plane to Yangon, then Bangkok then was evacuated business class to LA and first class to Baltimore.
Never paid a nickel except for the cab to the airport in rural Myanmar.

3 cracked ribs, small concussion, couldn't raise my right arm above my head for a year.
Taught me not to travel solo any more.

Latest threads

Top Bottom