Travel Storage

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by woundedmallard, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Hey Everybirdy,

Just want to get a feel for what some of you might be using as far as file storage. Looking for something a little less than the price of the Epson p-5000 as I don't really need a viewer.
    Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with some of the hand held storage units?

Just getting a D200, I have 9 GB worht of cards, but shooting RAW on a good day can potentially use that up, especially on a road trip or a vacation and would like to have the option to clear a card or two from time to time.

Thanks for your input.

2. Phil Lee

Phil Lee

Jan 17, 2007
    Sale, UK
    I just got back from 3 weeks in New Zealand. I used my 12" Sony laptop as my main storage device with my 60Gb iPod as a backup drive, copying all my photos onto that in case there was a problem with the laptop. I admit that this isn't the most portable solution but it did allow me to look at the photos as I was going.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  3. Go search for storage bank and photo storage on Ebay.

These boxes are standalone and have card readers and you can add the harddrive of your choice. All you need is a Harrdive of your choice. I made one with a 120 GB Drive and it wowrks very well. All I do is put the card in start it up press a button and 7-8 minutes later for a 4 GB card it has transferred the content to the Storage device. And my box came with a WW ready power supply.

4. Thanks Phil and Andreas. Checked out ebay, a few p-2000 floating around, might be just what I need if I can get it cheap!

5. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    I did a few searches, per your suggestion. There are several models that accept user installed hard drives. Most seem to need external power, but it's an interesting option. I've been thinking of buying a new laptop, rather than one of the expensive storage devices with a small viewing screen. This might be a viable, inexpensive alternative. :biggrin:

6. joe_boyd

joe_boyd

Aug 10, 2006
    Hyperdrive has battery-powered, large capacity storage devices. These are especially well suited for portable card backup. They are surrently only seliing the Space model, but you can find HD80 and HD70 models used. The Space can be purchased with an installed drive of varying capacities, or you can install your own pretty easily.

7. Wow, thanks Joe. This looks like just what the doctor ordered!!

8. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Dunno what's going on, but I clicked on the hyperdrive link and my AV detected a trojan script, the Crypt.DCSript, apparently attached to that site, which tried to download to my system.

Looks like the hyperdrive site may have been hacked. Be careful, folks. :mad:

9. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Update on the hyperdrive web site. I contacted them about the trojan alert. Yesterday, I got an email from them, advising that they'd look into it. I went there today, through several pages, without getting any AV alerts. So, they've apparently fixed that problem. :smile: