1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Travel tripod legs

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by waltny, Jul 30, 2008.

1. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    I need to find a decent set of legs for hiking and air plane travel(plan to take some abuse). Something small and rugged to go along with this head and D70s with the heaviest lens being the 12-24/4 tokina. Thanks

2. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
    I would recommend getting something in Carbon-fiber for hiking. If you’re on a budget you should check out Induro http://www.indurogear.com/products_catalog_Carbon8XTripods.html They make some really nice units for the money. Gitzo or Manfrotto are the best and of course more expensive.

The head you’re using is surprisingly light weight but still it’s a bit on the bulky side. In order to pack it in my tripod bag I have to remove the adjustment stems which to me is kind of a pain so I usually travel with my ball head. The weight is a tad heavier but it packs up nicely and does a great job.

3. Check out the Velbon Sherpa series (non-carbon) for some small tripod. I'm using a Velbon Sherpa Pro CF-435 (carbon) but I use it with a 70-200VR although that is a bit over the limit of the tripod.

You should also checkout Feisol. They have a small carbon tripod that can be folded around a small head to reduce the packed length.

4. RonL

RonL

Aug 5, 2006
    Houston, TX
    While on the subject of Velbon, you might want to consider the El Carmagne 540-- reasonably light, reasonably short, reasonably priced, and very well made.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.