Traveling Camera I Project- Update 8-8-09

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by W.Ray, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Yeah! The camera has been found! Just got the email! It is in Beezle's hands as of 22 Apr 09!

*The camera will come with: lens hood, skylight filter, lens cover, four zinc air cell batteries and some #9 O rings to make the batteries fit snugly.
    I recommend against using the self-timer since they are typically problematic in these old rangefinders! The camera is shutter speed priority in the "A" setting and completely manual and uncoupled otherwise!

Let's make an effort to keep the camera for one week (two if unforeseen circumstances arise) then send it off to the next person on the list! Post as many pictures here as you like. Also, pick your 3 best images and upload them as 4X6 300 dpi pics to the gallery here (these would be the ones for a book):http://gallery.me.com/rayhill2/100020

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2009
  2. Sounds great, I will be looking for it in the mail.

Not sure what film we are going to use, but I was thinking if we are going to use color print film, it would be neat for everyone to send a set of prints and possibly the negatives back to Ray. Then when this project is finished, Ray could edit through the photos and publish either a web-page or possibly a book from one of those 'print-on-demand' services. Of course, each participant would pay for his/her copy, but it would be $20 or so, and would be a neat memento of unique friendship of bunch of people around the world who have probably never met each except through the internet.

Just a thought...

3. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    Uh - I replied to your PM yesterday, Ray.
    I was away for a funeral and didn't see internet for 10 days.
    This happens to me often, as I travel for work as well...
    Please find a spot for me, I'm all excited about this :) 

I'll resend the PM, if you need me to.

4. You are now officially on the list! For some reason I didn't get notified about a new pm and missed your post! However, I am glad that it has been resolved and you are now good to go!

5. Some excellent suggestions, Lynn! I'm okay with color prints but some others may wish to do black and white! I will put up a gallery on my dot mac site and perhaps Chris could make a sticky here on this forum! I am also willing to assemble a book if people would like!

6. Wow, I cannot wait to see the results.

7. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Really looking forward to this, thanks again for making room for one more. The rules are one roll only, correct? What about some speed shooting and getting a roll of color and black and white in? :smile:

8. Shoot as much as you like with your films of choice!

9. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    That little camera will be well traveled. I wish I could participate, but I knew from the get go that I would not be able to afford the time. I know that there will be some great photos taken. I am looking forward to the first batch from Lynn. :smile::smile:

10. Good day to all,

The camera arrived in Sydney this afternoon(Tuesday, the 9th of September). I will open the box later tonight and hope to be burning emulsion tomorrow.

Dare I ask... I see that Ned is on the list, does that mean he is back at the Café? One can only hope...

11. Cool. A list of great photographers and diverse locations. Can't wait to see people's results.

12. Great! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in next several days! Sadly no, just an invited guest of stellar talent!

13. braver

braver

Apr 2, 2008
    netherlands
    oh man, the anticipation! lots of great talent in the group, hope I can shoot one or two pics that live up to it :)  looking forward to the journey :) 

14. I will break the silence. I have been away for most of the past few weeks and without internet service.

I have had the very unique opportunity to be invited to join a research team that is working in the Macquarie Marshes in northwest NSW as a driver, logistics manager and photographer. This is a remote section of the state that has little public access and services. Of course, I accepted the invite!

I just returned and the Olympus was along for the ride, although the photo ops were limited since it decided to rain while we were in the field turning the whole place into a mud and muck. No one was complaining since it only rains there several times a year.

So I will be sending the 'travelling camera' onto Chris101 on Monday. I shot 3 rolls of film, Rollei Retro 400, Kodak Gold 200, and Kodachrome 64. It will be a few weeks till I get any photos online, as I am leaving for another 2 weeks very shortly and have a huge amount of work to do to get the team ready to leave.

I may try to rip another roll of B&W through the camera this weekend before I send it on...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2008
  15. Lynn, it's good to hear from you. It sounds like you've had quite the adventure! I'm really looking forward to seeing some of your pics. Take care and enjoy your next jaunt to the marshes.

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ooo, ooo!! I can barely wait!

This is gonna be fun!

17. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    I have to warn you that with my job the one or two week time horizon might be difficult to comply with. I hope that's all right. For example, my last job was supposed to take four or five days, it took three weeks (I was in Singapore, which isn't the worst place to be stuck, but you get the point).

So I hope I can get some leeway with the time frame.

Looking forward to seeing results, though. Wow, that trip to the marshes sounded awesome!

Tormod

18. Just to know... where's the camera, actually?

19. That, my friend, is the $64,000 question. Lynn said he mailed it off to Chris a couple of weeks ago! I hope it isn't lost! Oh, and by the way, we haven't seen any pics taken by Lynn so far!?!?:biggrin:

20. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Camera ... What camera? :Wink:

Yep, I got it earlier this week, and put a roll of chromogenic in it. It should be on it's way to the next participant (Ned) sometime next week.

ps, what's this about pictures? Should I be shooting with it? :Wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.