Traveling with a tripod

I'm leaving for Iceland in a little over two weeks, and because of the winds there I'm considering taking my larger tripod. I've never traveled with it on a plane trip. What is the policy now? Can I take it attached to my carry-on bag?

Real Name
Randy
I have never tried but I also wonder, 1st of all it won't fit under the seat if they run out of overhead space
I would play it safe and put it in your suitcase

The airline is IcelandAir, and I will inquire. Tripods are not on the list of prohibited items, but it's probably not an all-inclusive list. The answer may depend on the attitude of the gate agents at the time of boarding, which is why I am asking for other's experience.

For example, I have traveled around the world with flyfishing gear in my carry-on items and never had a problem until I got to Argentina, where it was prohibited on all internal flights. I had to repack and check my rod tube and all reels with lines in the airport for a flight from Buenos Aires to Bariloche.

Last edited:
Real Name
Tony Saya
I have always stored my tripod in the checked luggage but that was always domestically.

The TSA has a nice search page on their web site. Just type in what you are questioning, and it will tell you if it can be brought on board in your carry on luggage.
My TSA - Home Airport

Here is the result when you query "tripod".
tripod.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It would appear that camera tripods are acceptable.

I did bring my heavy tripod to Iceland and was glad I did. It is windy and the terrain can be very rugged. I check my large tripod when flying since it does not fold down small enough for my carry on bag. I have recently flown with my travel tripod in my carry on bag without problems. I did have a screen shot of the TSA search results on my phone if I ran into a problem at security.

The TSA has a nice search page on their web site. Just type in what you are questioning, and it will tell you if it can be brought on board in your carry on luggage.
My TSA - Home Airport

Here is the result when you query "tripod".
View attachment 3206
It would appear that camera tripods are acceptable.

I did bring my heavy tripod to Iceland and was glad I did. It is windy and the terrain can be very rugged. I check my large tripod when flying since it does not fold down small enough for my carry on bag. I have recently flown with my travel tripod in my carry on bag without problems. I did have a screen shot of the TSA search results on my phone if I ran into a problem at security.

Thanks, Mitch. That's helpful.

I almost always carry my small travel tripod packed in my checked luggage, but my larger one takes up quite a bit of space and adds weight. I'll probably have to remove the head and pack it separately, but I may be able to get it in the checked luggage.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I always put mine Gitzo series 2 in my checked luggage. I take off the head and wrap the head and legs separately in clothing. Isn't clothing optional when traveling with camera gear? LOL!

I always put mine Gitzo series 2 in my checked luggage. I take off the head and wrap the head and legs separately in clothing. Isn't clothing optional when traveling with camera gear? LOL!

For air travel my wife insists on doing all the packing, and I take a heavy browbeating when adding photography gear to the checked luggage.:rolleyes:

Well, the Mrs. is now on board with packing it in our checked luggage, so I guess we can close this discussion. Thanks to all who participated.

Jim, if weight is an issue in your checked bag, I often take the head off my tripod and carry it in my carry on bag. I have a RRS BH55 which adds quite a bit of checked weight.

Yes, me too. But I'm asking about carrying it on.
I'd call the airline, but really it's up to the person at the gate to determine if you'll get it on or not. I don't enjoy hassles, which I why I put it in my checked bag. Will it fit in one of those little boxes they have by most boarding gates? Mine is way too big for the box. A cover/bag for it might help? Can you extend it and use it as a crutch? Duct tape it to your lower leg and tell them it's a prosthetic device the VA gave you. Hook a disposal animal to it and tell it's your service animal. Lots of options. I boarded once carry a garden spade...you should be able come with something to get a tripod on the plane.

I used to carry it on the plane, but now I pack in the checked luggage with a lot of parring (clothes and such) around it and have not had a problem.

Latest threads

Top Bottom