Traveling with D700, 24-70, 70-200, speedlight, need a bag

OK, so I've embraced my camera-geekness. I want to lug my big old DSLR around for my daughter's first trip to Disney World. Problem is that my bag selection consists of bags that are either too small (Tamrac freebies from my Rebel days) or too big (a LowePro Flipside 400AW and a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60 V2.0). What I'm looking for is a bag that will let me travel light (relatively) with my gripped D700, a 24-70G with hood attached, a 70-200 VR II (hood reversed is OK on this one), and an SB-700. I'm also looking for something that doesn't scream "CAMERA BAG WITH EXPENSIVE CAMERA!"

So far it looks like the ThinkTank Retrospective 20 is the winner, but I'm curious to know if there are other options out there before I pull the trigger. Any other ideas?

I've made several trips to Disney World with gear very similar to yours (same lenses, just have a D300. Usually add a prime lens in there too for the darker rides, etc). My go-to bag is the Kata 3n1 30. It is a back pack with side access. I carried my Crumpler 5MDH around Disney before I got my 70-200 and that was about as big of a shoulder bag as I would want to carry. Since getting the 70-200, I stick with backpacks for travel. Although I do like to be able to changes lenses on the go and the 3n1 is perfect for that.

A

alleong

I have the older gen of this one... it's small enough to consider as carry on for a plane ride...

I usually carry, D700 with Grip, 24-70 MM, I can confirm that both gens of the 70-200 mm VR 1 / VR 2 both fit, along with an 85 mm 1.4, SB900 flash, and on the top portion you could bring along a bottle of water or an additional flash etc... only gripe I have is that if it's a long trek it can get a little tiresome as it's only 1 strap as opposed to a dual strap back pack, and the benefit is that it's pretty sleek that it doesn't scream out hey look I have a camera... and it's convenient the way you can swing it around to grab your camera to take out for a couple of shots...

http://products.lowepro.com/product/SlingShot-302 AW,2193.htm

Best of luck on your search for a new bag :)

Hey, forgot I had taken this photo a few years ago for someone else considering this bag (yes, I took the photo in the bathroom mirror!)

814162608_fWF3u-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The lens in the middle is my 70-200 2.8

814160776_KnqHN-L.jpg

I do also have the Think Tank UD35 and it will fit the gear you have, but I do not find that bag to be very comfortable to carry around all day.

So far it looks like the ThinkTank Retrospective 20 is the winner, but I'm curious to know if there are other options out there before I pull the trigger. Any other ideas?

I have the Retro 20, and it fits my whole kit easily!:biggrin: looked around a bit, the Crumpler bags were too padded and I didn't like the colorful theme, besides that it was really only a decision between the Retro 10 & 20.......went with the 20 because it fits the D700 with 70-200 mounted.......:smile:

You'd be hard pressed to find better lens than the two you've chosen but are you sure you want to carry them around from morning to night? Not sure I'd feel comfortable storing them in a locker if you decide it's too tiring.

I'm sure getting shots of this trip is important but so is enjoying the moment. I'd go lighter. Good thing you're a doctor. DW is truly magical. Have fun with your family.

You'd be hard pressed to find better lens than the two you've chosen but are you sure you want to carry them around from morning to night? Not sure I'd feel comfortable storing them in a locker if you decide it's too tiring.

I'm sure getting shots of this trip is important but so is enjoying the moment. I'd go lighter. Good thing you're a doctor. DW is truly magical. Have fun with your family.

Haha... thanks. :) Secondary to being a doctor is the fact that I'm 6'2 and 210lb. Makes the lenses a little easier.

After weighing the options I decided to just go with the Retro 20. I already have the backpack options and a bigger shoulder bag, so I think the retro 20 will fill in a nice gap for walkaround travel. I'll post a review when I get back!

You won't regret it. I absolutely love my TT Retrospective 20 and it's quite roomy, holds holy trinity very nicely. The shoulder pad is fantastic and extremely comfortable. I own the Crumpler 7MDH which is slightly more streamline and padded, but I like how the Retro flap cover is very pliable to move aside and over.

I spent a week is DW in Jan. I had similar equipment, D300 (no grip), 17-55, 70-200, 50 1.4, SB-600, extra battery, and rain jacket (cheep kind). I used a TT pro speed belt with a fanny pack, and a skin double side with some foam inserts in it. This worked well though it was interesting on some of the more aggressive rides (space mountain etc.). It was nice being able to shift the load from side to side and front to back as needed and to shift the muscles used. The grip and tripod I left in the lockers at the entrance with anything else that might not be needed.

I love my Think Tank Speed Freak. It holds my D300, 70-200 (upright), and one or two other lens in the main compartment. The SB-800 and grip are in the front compartment. The two side net compartments hold extra batteries, TCs, and anything else small. I use a card holder that clips on one of the rings and fits in one side compartment.

The nice thing is that it has both a shoulder strap as well as a waist belt. I use the shoulder strap over my head and on the opposite shoulder, bandolier style. The only thing you wanted, which this does not offer, is a look that isn't saying this is a camera bag.

Check out the LowePro 300 Slingshot. I have used this bag in amusement parks and it is great when entering some of the rides because you don't have to take it off. Just sling it around in front of you when you sit down. It is also very easy to "sling" out the camera for those quick "not to miss" shots.

I picked up the Think Tank Retro 30. It worked perfect this past weekend with a D3s, 80-200, 17-35, 24 PC-E and SB-800. I think you will like the 20 too.

I used a Think Tank Retrospective 10 with the same set-up, + a 50mm and took it on a trip to Disneyland Paris and Amsterdam.
It was the perfect carrying solution for this kind of trip imo.
I also think that a 30 will probably be too big to lug around as I found the 10 to be the perfect size, big enough for my gear and small enough to stay inconspicuous
here's a pic or two
5392444005_c12d398a73.png

View attachment 868233

I've made several trips to Disney World with gear very similar to yours (same lenses, just have a D300. Usually add a prime lens in there too for the darker rides, etc). My go-to bag is the Kata 3n1 30. It is a back pack with side access. I carried my Crumpler 5MDH around Disney before I got my 70-200 and that was about as big of a shoulder bag as I would want to carry. Since getting the 70-200, I stick with backpacks for travel. Although I do like to be able to changes lenses on the go and the 3n1 is perfect for that.

Was going to suggest the same thing

I used a Think Tank Retrospective 10 with the same set-up, + a 50mm and took it on a trip to Disneyland Paris and Amsterdam.
It was the perfect carrying solution for this kind of trip imo.
I also think that a 30 will probably be too big to lug around as I found the 10 to be the perfect size, big enough for my gear and small enough to stay inconspicuous

Amazingly enough, the 30 is the same height and width, but it is 3 inches longer. Not really that much bigger to carry. On the other hand, the 20 is the same width and length as the 10, but 2 inches taller.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom