Treatment on a blurred photo

Last May, we went to Kenya for 3 weeks. On the last day, in the Masai mara, we saw an amazing sight. A herd of Zebras was crossing a crocodile infested river. Just as 1 Zebra safely made it to shore, 2 Male Lions leapt out of the bush and attacked! I swung my camera and fired. Unfortunately, I just wasn't set up for speed and the photo was horribly blurred.

Yesterday I played around with it. First I tried Focus magic. It helped but still not great. Then I added some brush strokes, and finally a texture. I think it works now and I'm quite pleased.

Here is the original:
70002871.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And my new version: (seems better on my PBase site!)

View attachment 71587

Comments?

K

Ken-L

The oringinal is not blurry due to shutter speed, it's apparently camera shake/movement while shooting.

The new version doesn't help.

Great capture!

PGB

What an exciting trip and to be able to see something like that.

Too bad the photo didn't work out originally but the retouched version has character I think. I get the feeling of speed, and the drama that occurs in nature.

Thanks for sharing,

Cool Capture for sure.

I kind of like the retouch. Perhaps a little brighter with a little more saturation. But.... I am on a reallly bad monitor at the moment so it may look just fine.

Here is the original:
70002871.gif

I tend to like the original just becuase it is such a grand nature shot that is made a little unnatural IMO with the redo. Here's the original with edge enhancement in Intellihance Pro and a 50% fade of a Neat Image noise reduction. If you stand back it looks pretty good - of course, so does your original.

109443320-L.jpg

Hi Lin.

Hope you do not mind. Thought I would try a smudge.

294220302_59fe001bbc_o.jpg

A little closer ie cropped just a tad.

294232821_2f323361cc_o.jpg

Interesting take everyone! Thanks for your comments.

I'm not sure I am in favour of the smudging, Mark. I think it might be because I was trying to get rid of, or hide the fact that it was so blurred and the smudging seems to bring it out. But maybe it looks different on your machine? This is my first attempt to show an image that has been photoshopped here. I am amazed at the difference between what shows here and what shows on my machine! I tried sharpening which I do for photos on the web but it doesn't seem to work. Anyone else find this?

Tim: I've never used Intellihence Pro. Looks promising. Seems better than the Focus Magic.

Anthony: uh...I was trying to achieve a canvas painting so...?

Ken: definitely camera movement! The jeep was bouncing all over the place!

Lin, what an adventure this must have been. The image does suffer from the motion, but that is understandable. I thought Mark's smudge job did a good job of overcoming some of that, though I think that it might be improved with more contrast.

Virginia
aka beaucamera

Latest threads

Top Bottom