Tri County Swimming Championships

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mike mac, Aug 3, 2008.

1. I shot the first day of this tow day event that is host to over a thousand athletes. This is the first swimming I had shot in over a year. Even though we had deck access, the combo of timers, judges and other officials made it difficult to get the perfect angles on some of the strokes. I also had to shoot three lanes every race so it was kind of crazy to say the least. Each event had anywhere from 5 to 7 heats.
    I shot with the d300 and the 70-200 and 1.4 and also the D3 with the 300 2.8
    I haven't gone through the whole set so here are a few quick examples
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Amazing stuff Mike! Isn't it just like riding a bike, you don't forget how. Love the expressions, each one has something in it that I love, very well done!!

3. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Nice set Mike, the water must add a challenging ellement.

4. awesome shots, mike
    what a great series

thanks for sharing these with us

5. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

not bad mike not bad at all buddy ! ! cant wait to see more

6. kwf1

kwf1

Nov 15, 2007
    S. Florida
    As usual, nice shots Mike,

I plan to shoot our HS swim team this year, and now your photos have me anticipating it all the more.

Thanks,
    Bert

7. kwf1

kwf1

Nov 15, 2007
    S. Florida
    As usual, nice shots Mike,

I plan to shoot our HS swim team this year, and now your photos have me anticipating it all the more.

Thanks,
    Bert

8. Sounds like an organizational nightmare, another master class for sure.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    There is always something special about shooting swimming or even just photographing people in the water, capturing the water suspended in mid-air can offer tremendous interest in a photograph. Mike, your images are stunning as usual, the facial expressions along with the water make for some neat captures. Very well done.

10. Awesome pictures Mike. These look like fun to shoot. I need to find a pool and try it.

11. Mike as always amazing shots, sounds as though you had some fun juggling. Too many people in a small place.

Bert, as long as your outdoors have a blast, knowing your in FL I hope it is I know its still warm enough in December. If your indoors, its can be a nightmare. But still fun.

12. kwf1

kwf1

Nov 15, 2007
    S. Florida

13. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Amazing!
    #3, #7 and #8 are my favorites, but all are outstanding!

Is there anything you don't shoot well?

This is just good stuff!

14. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Stellar set as always, Mike! Great set of images with good color, right amount of DOF, angle and sharpness.

15. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I really like these as well. Seems like a tough gig though.

16. Normally an individula meet is fun thsi was just pure chaos, and very stressful

Thanks Frank I know what you mean the flying water adds soemthing, with the these kids being very accomplished swimmers the shootign was very difficult

Thanks Brooks it was a nightmare to cover

Good luck with your shoot Bert, if it is inside be prepared for soem of the worst shootign condtions you can encounter
    Thanks topher
    Thanks Steve I appreciate the kind words
    Several time sthe AF grabbed thw water instead of the swimmers which made it difficult

17. It was a logistic nightmare to get all the swimmers we woudl have needed thrre more photgraphers but then the costs are too high.

If it is outdoors you will have a blast
    Thanks Jeff I appreciate the kind words
    Thanks so much
    I earned my pay this day that is for sure

18. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    3 & 5 are very nice! Great set as always Mike!

19. Mike,
    Really great stuff. My personal best is #1 & #8 (great capture)

20. Great swimming shots, from someone who takes a lot of swimming pictures. Please share more when you get a chance. Do you have a web site where some of these are displayed? I have a D300 with the 70-200 and 1.4TC and a 300 F4, but my shots aren't this clear and sharp. I would love to see what the settings were for your shots, so hopefully I could learn something from your obvious expertise. Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.