1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tri County Swimming

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mike mac, Aug 4, 2009.

1. I shot a two day swimming event this past weekend. It consisted of 36 teams and over 1100 athletes. It was a long hot grueling weekend with a 3 hr rain delay on Sunday to boot. We had two phtogs cover the event and we each shot three lanes it was non stop action from the first horn to the last touch. All shots with the D3 and the 70-200Vr with 1.4 tele.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brilliant ... these are fantastic (then again I expect this from you :biggrin:) 

Great job Mike & thanks for sharing.

Take care,
    Brent

3. Great captures Mike...:biggrin::biggrin:

Thank god for natural light!! The indoor season at the high school where I coach starts practice next week and it's back to shooting in the dungeon...:eek: 

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

4. I always look foward to seeing your newest post with pictures Mike. Truly amazing job, always!

5. Amazing job.

6. Ryan Bradford

Ryan Bradford

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester
    wow them are terrific, they remind me of posters you see in schools like the ones that say Live hard or w/e

7. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    Cool shots! #3, #4 and #11 are my favourites. The determination on the face as he dives... (y)

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice photography Mike, I alway enjoy the water suspended in mid-air. Did the camers's AF have difficulty acquiring focus with the splashing water?

9. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Great images Mike. I had the same question as Frank on the splashing water fooling the AF because I have been done in by the splashing water many a time when I have tried shooting my son during his swim meets. I have tried the D2H and the D300 with not much difference as far as the AF is concerned.

10. actionshooter

actionshooter

Aug 26, 2008
    NY
    Kind of related to the previous two posts (splashing and the AF), what aperture did you use? Number 4 looks like it was something in the f/6.3 range due to the DOF.

11. Brent
    thanks so much for the kind words
    Thanks so much, indoor swimmign is probably one of the worst venues to shoot in.
    Thanks you very much
    Thanks
    Thanks most of the tiimes they do not look up so I was happy to capture this one
    Thanks Frank the water drops can casue some issues, mainly on backstroke where not much of there face is exposed for the Af to grab onto. freestyle can also pose some problems but breast and butter are not bad at all.
    I used a f stop of f5 to get a little deeper DOF
    Thank sos much please see my response to Frank

I hsot a f 4.5 to f5 for a little bit more DOF. If you look at the shot you referenced it could be sharper I think this is due to the fact that I focused on the starting block and bursted as he started and I believe the Af had some issues trackign ans he launched.

12. Excellent post Mike, really makes me wish we had HS swimming outdoors!

13. urbanek2

urbanek2

Apr 29, 2006
    great shots as usual

beautiful exposure. Hard to accomplish at a pool.

14. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Good series Mike- 6 and 11 stand out perhaps the best swimming photos I have seen here
    Thanks for sharing , Mark

15. As always, Great shots Mike. Good to see you here again !

16. Thanks Geoff outdoor fun indoors impossible!
    Thanks so much
    Thanks so much Mark glad you liekd them I hope the parents do too
    Thanks Jim good to see you too

17. Cool set Mike!
    I like the close-ups best. Hard to capture the relay, good timing though.
    Fred

18. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    I have been away for a while now....It is nice to see some mike mac photos when I check in ...

Love the shots...Swimming is tough. These are great.

19. A beautiful series. They all have very nice contrast and excellent exposure of the water.

20. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Sort of intrigued why you wouldnt use the 300 Mike ?

Nice shots though, as said.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.