1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tried out the D700 at the camera store/ problems

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by Debbie H, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Hi, the other day I tried out the D700 at the camera store that I deal with. I was very impressed with the D700 at ISO at 6400! Has anyone had this problem with their D700, they put the 50 1.8 lens on it I took several pics of very low lighting to check out the improvement of the higher ISO but I also took several around the store and there wasn't one picture that was sharp. I couldn't believe I was getting not one sharp picture. So I set up some little boxes on the counter staggered that they had to see if the lens was back or front focusing and the item that I focused on was the sharpest, but by no means what we call sharp, so I don't know what the problem was. Wondering if it was the camera. Any input on this?? Thanks!!! :smile: Debbie

PS. It was not in Manual on the front of the camera either. I checked all this out trying to pin point the problem.

2. R Longenbach

R Longenbach

Jul 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    At the high ISO?

Lots of questions like - was the High ISO NR on? Active D-Lighting? What picture control was on? How much did you zoom in to view the sharpness?

My experience is that you lose some sharpness at the higher ISOs due to noise and if you're not careful the NR will make it worse. That's why I've turned my NR off.

Can you post an example?

3. Probably a combo of issues.
    First off, a store camera more than likely had its setting altered.

I would guess that the sharpness setting was all the way down, combined with high ISO NR set all the way up.
    That'll do it.

4. If it was high ISO, with sharpening off, and noise reduction on like the previous posters said....yes, images will be soft. My D700 seems to be much sharper than my D300 all the way around. I'm more than happy with it.

5. atoronto

atoronto

Jun 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Me too, more satisfied with the D700 than D300, with my D300 I get lots of front and back focusing problems, but nothing with my D700, if you can afford just buy it, high ISO performance is amazing, I just get a used Sigma 12-24, wow it is wide, very wide.
    Oops, forgot to add that my 24-70 now very very sharp wide open, not with D300.

6. Might have been a bad copy of the lens. Maybe try again with a known good lens?

7. What aperture were you using? If you shot at 1.8, perhaps the lack of sharpness you saw was the result of limited depth of field?

8. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    Did you ask anyone who worked in the store you were in what their thoughts were as to why the pictures were not sharp? They may have set everything back to where if would perform better in the situation you were in after seeing the results you were getting.

9. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Wish I could post an example but it was a brand new card they put in. No ISO was on 200, no Active D-Lighting. I put it on RAW & Jpeg fine ( large).Well first 100% then I backed off. I agree with the higher ISO but that wasn't the case.

Yes that would do it but I went into the menu and checked everything out. I even changed some things to see if I was able to get a sharper picture.

Yes Sonya I'm sure yours is.:smile: I'm not sure what was going on. I checked everything and played with it for about an hour.

10. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    I'm happy for you:smile:

That could be it not sure.

Rick at first I had it on a 1.8 than went as high as a 4.5. Thought of the same thing.

11. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Yes James I did. Both of guys are canon shooters. The guy I usually work with that is a Nikon shooter wasn't there. No they didn't touch the camera the camera. I had it the whole time I was in the store. :confused: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.