Tried Tamron 17-50 2.8 in store today

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by mood, Jul 5, 2007.

1. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    My local shop had one in stock, so I tried on it a D80
    seemed nice, good color, quick focus
    but the build seems average even though it is a "pro" style lens
    However Nikon might lose a 17-55 sale, not just because of price,
    but I can't find anywhere to try it out
    always back-ordered
    you know how lust is,

can't wait too long..

2. it's a great lens if you have a good copy. I wouldn't call it a "pro" style lens, but it isn't built horribly in comparison to other products in that price range.

3. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    I wouldn't either, but thats what Tamron calls it...
    at least the Tokinas seem built tough, like the Nikon

4. I too agree that it's does not seem like a pro quality lens, at least compared to what we see that's labled as pro quality. My copy seems to be built just fine but is made of pastic and is light weight, so it certainly doesn't have the feel of pro quality. However plastics these days are very strong so with that in mind the 17-50 Tamron just might take it like a pro.
    What I really like about the 17-50 Tamron is the detail I can see in the landscapes that I shoot, trees for instance have individual leaves rather than looking like (for lack of a better term) blobs of green. Of course they have always looked like trees with leaves but there is still a difference and a quality that can be seen. I have never done a direct comparison with a 17-55 Nikkor, it could be even better but I'm happy with the Tamron.

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    yes it did seem sharp
    the only shots I've seen posted side by side were of brick walls and test charts....not real images..
    is the 17-55 better...probably....$800.00 better...I don't know
    for $800.00, I can get my 85 1.8 and SB-600 and still go out to dinner

6. The same can be said of the Nikkor :wink: