1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Tried to catch the moon

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by manzico, Nov 28, 2018.

1. My plan was to catch the moon as it rose over Gates Pass, but there were some low lying hazy clouds that prevented me from catching it until it was a ways above the landscape. I still managed one moon photo. I spent the rest of the time shooting the desert foliage and the overall landscape.

#1: the afore mentioned moon shot
    168458445.sOLrC4mU.Day_Into_Night.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2: A detail of one of the saguaros in the area. I pushed the color quite a bit and it gave me this great psychedelic look so I kept it.
    168458450.8ykGfeI0.Psychedelic_Desert.jpg

#'s 3 and 4: The last time I was out this way shooting the ocotillos were getting this great backlight from the sun but I didn't get to capture it (well I did in IR, but not in visible light). They were glowing green in the sunset. On this trip out they've all gone red and orange so I shot for that.

168458448.BZi8THL3.Ocotillo_Orange.jpg

168458451.FYkLQVfI.Rays_Down_and_Up.jpg

As always, CC are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Two and three are really, truly outstanding. Love the symmetry in 3 and balance in the image, one suggestion is next time on similar subjects get even lower maybe even portrait mode to garner more length like the sun flare shot, which is also very nice.

In 2, I love your processing and the abstract look. Very unique.

3. #2 is stellar--great subject and processing. #1 is great, but the moon is weak (been there, done that, too ;)  ), better without the moon, perhaps?.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Outstanding pictures Dave.

5. Thanks for posting.. I like the images and the comments.

6. Thanks for the comments.

I know what you mean about getting low. One of my life's goals is to find an ocotillo standing on its own on a bit of a rise so I can get its full silhouette against the sky. The desert is just so busy with stuff (usually sharp, pointy stuff) in the foreground that makes that shot net to impossible. If you get low, you literally lose it in the weeds, the sharp sharp sharp thorny weeds.

Dave

7. You're probably right, but I went out to shoot the moon and by gum, I'm bringing back a moon photo. :) 

Dave

8. Very nice set! IMO the moon doesn't add to the image in #1 , but as you said already , you brought back a moon photo:)  Lovely golden light everywhere!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.