Trigatron and water-jar.

I was on leave today so I had time to work on my experiments :)
I finally got my trigatron working through my camera flash.
My approach was to try and see if I can do high speed photography in broad daylight without relying on darkness and flash to freeze the motion.
I wired up my old camera flash through an ignition coil that fires a spark across a pair of brass electrodes [spark gap switch] to ionize the air gap and allow an 11000uf capacitor pack to dump its load across a 10 amp fuse.

aDSC_2366_zps78c98564.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The next trick was to fire it without being connected so that nothing could back-fire through the camera, or me.
I used a sound activated flash trigger with a normal relay in it so it could take almost any load that this system could throw at it.
I did some test shots to see if the J1 could trigger the microphone.
I wired up the sound activated switch to an SB800 and faced it at the camera on "strobe" mode at 100hz so I could capture the flash and see where it appeared in the sequence of photos - I was using 60fps which gives me 12 frames with the J1.
I held the mic on top of the little speaker on the J1 after the focus-beep was over and fired away- the very first image had the flash in it luckily.
You can see the nature of the electronic-high recording of the J1 here.

aDSC_3140_zps11352e3e.jpg

The two small flashes connected to the capacitor pack were taking a long time to charge them so I tried the first attempt at 120 volts.

aDSC_3213_zps4f98844b.jpg

aDSC_3214_zpsecd7dc2c.jpg

Boring, I was hoping the jar would explode.
I let it charge up to 180 volts for the next attempt and was surprised at how strong the jar was.

aDSC_3226_zps396df6c9.jpg

aDSC_3225_zps012e4f93.jpg

aDSC_3227_zpsa9755f44.jpg

I had a sequence of 11 images but nothing spectacular.
I'm busy processing the slow-motion video of the final attempt at 240 volts which turned out pretty good - give me an hour or so :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom