Trip round the lake with my new 300

Discussion in 'Birds' started by icecavern, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Decided while there was a break in the rain this afternoon to go on a trip round the lake to give my new Sigma 300mm a try.

Wasn't too bad for a first try but it's going to take some getting used to the extra weight of this one.

Not perfect this one but only a limited amount of time to catch him beating his wings...

This lil guy was a bit figity so most of my shots were pretty blury, but this one came out OK I think...

Wish I could get a good shot of this guy, my favourite bird on the lake but I never seem to get a perfect shot of him, I've not given up yet though... :wink:

Quite proud of these two, I know they're not birds but putting them here saves me having 2 threads :smile:

All taken hand-held, leaning on a tree when possible, at either ISO100 or 400 depending on the light. All are cropped with a little sharpening.

Comments and critique welcome :smile:
  2. Fremlin

Jan 29, 2006
    I love all the little beads of water flying about in the mallard pic. The grebe shot would have been excellent if he had just looked towards you more. Squirrel shot is good, I know how hard they can be just to get them when they are still.
  3. Thanks Robert. That Grebe must know I'm trying to photograph him as he always moves or looks away or something. I'm hoping one day the light will be better and he'll be fishing and I'll have more time to get the shot. Each shot I get of him gets better though so it has to happen one day. I'm lucky as the lake is less than 5minutes walk from my house :)

There's hundreds of squirrels around in the trees, but those are the best shots I've had of them so far, they don't sit still long lol
  4. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    The lens is without question sharp! Love the Mallard.
  5. One of the nicer selections the 300mm, I like the Drake Mallard shaking and the water flying.
  6. Thanks, the mallard was one of those lucky shots, just put the camera to my eye when he decided to stretch his wings :smile:
  7. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shots

Watch the highlights:>)))))
  8. Thanks Gale
  9. i think they need more USM
  10. I have to say I'm very much a beginner when it comes to sharpening. Any tips on using the three different settings in CS3?
  11. i use NC for all my PP so i can't help w/ cs3
    I use 2 LCD-s and USM to taste, w/ the pic on 1 lcd and the usm tools pallete on the 2nd lcd
  12. I'll have a bit of a play around with it later, see what I can come up with :smile:
  13. OK I had a bit of a play...

Larger images can be seen by changing the sml to bg in the names.

What do you think?
  14. [​IMG]

And upped the USM on this one too.
  15. soft around the face