Trip to Central America, Peru & Bolivia

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Jimbojack, Jul 12, 2007.

1. I've finally gotten some more time off, and will be leaving on a trip at the end of next week.

I'll be flying into El Salvador, and plan on spending a couple of days there, couple of days transiting through Honduras, and about 1 1/2 weeks in Nicaragua.

After Nicaragua, I'll be going back to El Salvador (By bus) for a flight to Peru, where I'll continue to Bolivia. Got about 2 1/2 weeks for Peru and Bolivia.

Has anyone here been to Nicaragua or El Salvador? I've been to Honduras a couple of years ago, but only to the Copan ruins area. I'm looking for suggestions on good places to photograph in Niacaragua or El Salvador. For this part of the trip, I'll be by myself and don't really have a plan so I can go anywhere I want.

I've been to Peru before, so I know what to expect and where to go. Haven't been to Bolivia, but I plan on going to Uyuni and spending a couple of days at the salt flats.

I usually take my latop with me to backup my photos, but I'm a bit nervous taking it to Bolivia. I will be at an altitude of over 4000m (~13,000 feet), and I know some hard drives fail at those altitudes. Has anyone used a laptop this high up? Any problems?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a rough outline:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hi Phillip,

We have not been to the places where you are going, but we have traveled with Lindblad Expeditions many times and they do a few trips to Nicaragua. They do daily reports from their trips. Here is a link, I'm hoping that you might find something by reviewing them:
    Lindblad Expeditions Link

It is my understanding that hard drives (both in laptops and in photo storage devices) need a certain amount of air pressure to keep the recording heads from crashing into the platters when operating. I saw a link to the Hatachi website a few days ago... found it:
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hddt/knowtree.nsf/0/fc15ebdbb6dafb0a86256a9b006ead5c?OpenDocument

I don't think there is a problem taking it that high, just don't operate it at altitudes above 10,000 feet. As a cheap alternative, Circuit City has 4GB Ultra II compact flash cards on sale this week for $50, no rebate needed. A couple extra might get you through until you get to lower altitudes.

Hope this helps.

This sounds like a neat trip, be sure to post lots of photos when you get back.
    Bob & Nan