Trip to Europe!

I

iamnamja

Hi everyone,

My first post here... I'm new to the DSLR world, as I have just received my D3100 as a gift a few weeks back. I'm still in the process of reading up on how to get used to and... actually use the camera...

I have a few questions that I was hoping that you guys will be able to help me. I'm planning a trip to Europe (France and Greece) in a month, and I want to make sure I get the best out of my camera.

So, for one, I'm looking to buy a lens for the camera. I've been looking at the 35mm or the 50mm prime lens that they have on Amazon. I know that the 50mm f/1.8 is coming out in June, so that's a bit risky, and so i'm leaning towards 35mm. Do you think this lens will be sufficient for me?

Also, as I have found out recently, my D3100 won't work with a remote! Any suggestions on which after market remote shutter release product works best with my camera?

Finally, any other suggestions, or experiences on what I should bring along for my camera will be helpful. I got the lightest tripod (zipshot), a bag, lens cap... and roughly 100GB of combined memory.

As you can see I'm very exited about this trip, and want to make sure that everything's perfect. Thanks!

B

Bill N

With the self timer switch on the top deck I don't even bother with a remote when I use mine. The 35mm AFS lens is sweet on the D3100, the photos have the feel of 50mm on film, it will also be sweet for low light. That said, even a light cheap zoom like the 18-55 or 18-70 would be great for wondering around because of the excellent high ISO that the D3100 has. A couple years ago I took just an old D50 with a 18-55vr lens and was very happy with what I brought home. Good luck and have tons of fun, you should have a blast that will give you some life long memories!!

Edit to ad, welcome to the Cafe!!!

I

iamnamja

Thanks Bill!

You may be right... I'm really debating what I should do about the remote shutter release.

Only reason why i'm seriously considering it is because I would like to have a lot of pictures of my wife and I together. Otherwise the trip will consist of either me or her only. I dont think i'll feel comfortable asking as many people to take pictures for us compared when when I used to have a point and shoot...

With the remote, I can just set it up, take one or two pics, change the angle and do it all over again quicker than setting it up, waiting 3, or 10 seconds... Maybe i'm just trying to over prepare haha. Let me know your experiences. Thanks!

the timer function works great, ive used it before on my camera on a tripod and once you take your first few you will get the grasp of framing. just have your wife stand in the spot you want and leave room in the view finder for yourself and make sure you expose the shot as well on your wife so when the timer goes off it will be good to go.

I

iamnamja

You may be right... It might even be cumbersome to have the automatic shutter.. as either I would need to have that installed the whole time, or set it up whenever I wnat to take pictures of both of us.

It'll cross that off of my list then. Thanks!

Just to confirm.... 35mm is something you would recommend?

The 35 is highly recommended ... but you may want to consider something wider to supplement it ... especially if you like shooting landscapes, cityscapes, large buildings, interiors etc (you would find several such opportunities in Greece and France)... some of the options like 18-55 / 18-105 or 16-85 may give you more reach as well if you need it ...

B

Bill N

Practice a bit with the self timer to get used to using it. I still kick myself for forgetting to take a photo of my wife and I kissing with the Eiffel Tower in the background. It was one of those things that we had talked about doing before our trip and then just got so busy with other things we forgot. Oh well, maybe some day we will return to get that shot.
The 35mm is a nice little lens. Easy to put in your pocket or bag when out and about and a lot of fun to shoot at dusk/sunrise.

I'd start out with a DX zoom like the 18-105 VR until you know how you like to shoot, particularly for travelling. Get a circular polarizing lens (I like the top line Marumi for value) as well since many shots you'll want to take will be in less than favorable light, and this will help with glare. When travelling, always keep your lens hood on, then you don't need to have the lens cap on and you're always ready to shoot. When I was in Paris with my wife, I usually didn't even carry a camera bag, just my camera and lens on an R-Strap.

I used one of these http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-709...D2JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305728638&sr=8-1 for shots of the two of us out at night, but not sure how the included head would hold up with a DSLR and zoom combo. We used a smaller micro four thirds camera on that tripod typically. Nice thing was that she could hold it in her purse easily enough.

I

iamnamja

Thanks for all your inputs guys!

Ok.. So now my thinking goes... the 35mm will be great under low light.. and is an overall good lens.. the only issue is that it doesn't have zoom right?

Maybe its me trying to convince myself... but I wonder how many times I will really need to zoom? I mean i understand that with a prime lens that I would need to move around a lot to get the shot that i want... but i don't know if that'll be such a bad thing... sure i would like to be in one spot and choose many different views... but possibly that's something that's worth giving up for a lens that works great under low light? (besides i need the exercise!)

BUT! I dont wnat to end up being in Europe and regretting the whole time and thinking of all those shots i could have taken if i bought a lens that has some decent zoom.

If you were me... can only afford one additional lens.. max $500... would like to stay around $300.. and only has the kit lens... what would you do?

(...)sure i would like to be in one spot and choose many different views... but possibly that's something that's worth giving up for a lens that works great under low light? (besides i need the exercise!)

BUT! I dont wnat to end up being in Europe and regretting the whole time and thinking of all those shots i could have taken if i bought a lens that has some decent zoom.(...)

It's actually the other way around. The zoom lens will seduce you in staying in one spot. You won't have many different views from there. A fixie on the other hand gets you on the move. And while you're walking you'll think “hmm maybe let's try from this angle as well”—since you're on the move you're much more likely to try really different views, not just different zoom versions of the same view.

Having said that I would carry a kit-zoom with me, for “just in case” but you're likely to use that 35/1.8 90% of the time. It's a very nice lens.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom