Tripod advice

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by slabwax, Jul 5, 2007.

1. slabwax

slabwax

Aug 30, 2006
    I'm going to get a tripod in the few days. A bit of advice would be more than helpful.
    I'm leaning towards a Giottos GB-1140 w/ 1001 ball head with the quick release. I can get one on Amazon for around $160. That is the max I want to spend. I also looked at the Bogen 190??? and 3001. I liked the Bogen's just fine as far as fit and finish. But they are a bit on the large side when compared to the Giottos. But the Bogens seem to be a little more sturdy. So are the Giotto's ok?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Dean

2. I have read a lot of information on tripods. The most useful I have found is on Thom Hogan's site: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm and unfortunately he recommends buying much more expensively than you are considering.

I guess it's a question of longevity. If you feel you are into this hobby for the long term then his message makes a lot of sense.

3. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Dean, i believe the Giottos GB-1140 is an old and discontinued model. They've made many changes since then, higher load capacity, better materials, lighter, etc. Have a look at the newer models.

4. slabwax

slabwax

Aug 30, 2006
    Thanks for the heads up. Do you know the replacement model number?

Dean

5. A lot of people make a big deal about the price of Gitzo tripods. If you read Thom Hagan's article, you'll see the folly of going with a cheap tripod. However, some of us simply can't afford the full price of a Gitzo. I looked around for a while and found mine on sale at a companies Boxing week clearance of rental, discontinued, demo'd and returned equipment. I have no idea why mine was in there because it was in the original box but it looked like it had never been used. Paid less than half price.

Look around, it's worth the effort.

Bruce

6. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Whatever tripod and head you decide to go with, make sure it's solid, and doesn't have any play. Although the Gitzo tripods are pricey (depending on the model) I think they're worth it..........so save you're dollars, and invest in something better, like a Gitzo, Bogen, Manfratto, etc.