Tripod for Nikon D7200 paired with the updated 80-400 lense

My main setup is a Nikon D7200 paired with the updated 80-400 lense and was looking to buy a tripod. I have never owned a tripod and from looking online they go anywhere from a few hundred to over $1K. The main thing for me is it will be used outdoors and would be good if its fairly light. Any suggestions as to a setup and is the included Nikon lense collar for the 80-400 suitable, some shooters upgrade this but is it necessary. Only 1 local camera store in my town and they don't carry much, so in the my purchases have been at Henrys in Canada. Thanks for any input.

Henry's Canada - Shop for Digital SLR Cameras, Digital Cameras, and Video Cameras - Henry's best camera store in Canada : Origin

D7200 weighs almost 2 lbs, 80-400 with collar is 3.5 lbs so plan for 6 lb weight. This article guided me when I was searching for good support. I definitely recommend using the "buy once, cry once" philosophy regarding price. There are many ball head and tripod leg vendors. I ended up going with Kirk ball heads and Gitzo legs for my needs; it fit my $1K budget. It was heavy but I don't hike up hills or mountains. I hope this helps, good luck. :)

D

Deleted member 638

According to my experience (D300 & AFS 300/4D w/ or w/o TC14EII), I would recommend a Series-3 Gitzo tripod, and Arca Swiss Z1 (or similar, e.g. Markins Q20) ball head.
Anyway, first of all, swap the Nikon crappy tripod collar with a Kirk or RRS collar ...

D

Deleted member 638

D300+300/4 set up on my Gitzo series-2 is more prone to vibration blur ...

if I was you I’d try the OEM collar 1st
Right, as Oscar Wilde said: "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Randy
I always push down on the lens. I use a series 1 traveler that if I didn’t push it would blur but it weighs 2lbs including the head

I have a 3541ls and I’m fine with the weight but I think the OP may not be

In any event the D7200 + 80-400 is very HHable

Real Name
Doug Boufford
Hi Fellow Kingstonian!

Someone mentioned "buy once .. cry once". A GOOD tripod & head will cost more than a few hundred$$ but - depending on your expected use, you may not need that $2,000.00 set of legs + a $1,000.00 head. I would take a day & go to both Vistek & Henry's, either in Ottawa or TO and start asking questions & trying out legs & heads, given the info you have received from here. It's easy to pick up a complete tripod & head for a few hundred $$ but then you find that is NOT the one for you & out you go shopping again:(. For some great general advice, read this by Thom Hogan Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan. Good luck!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom