Tripod/Head setup - opinions needed

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by Jim Strathearn, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Now that I have the 500 f/4, I need a better platform for it. My budget is $1,000.00 and I have come up with the following. Please let me know how you think this combo will work. BTW, I went the ballhead/sidekick route so I can use the tripod/head for my shorter glass as well.

Gitzo 1320
    Wimberley Sidekick
    Kirk BH-1

Add the plates and the ballhead snap collar and I'm right around $1,150.00. I will eventually go to CF legs but I figure I'll also eventually need two quality tripods and starting w/this one fits the budget. Does this make sense?

TIA for any comments/suggestions, etc.

2. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I have to agree with Randy on this one. I have, and really like, the Gitzo 1325, but if I hadn't already bought it, I would have jumped on this with both feet. As to the head, I would very seriously look at this one:

Bogen gimbal head

It is only $159 and I've seen two guys using them with 600 f4 lenses, and our own Greg Giesing has one and likes it very well. Put these two together and you would have a great set-up for less than your budget. :smile:

4. Jim,
    That gitzo 1548 in the link above is awesome and perfect for what you want. right height for you, not TOO heavy and made for big glass. The price is right too. I just bought one from B&H just before he listed it. I also have the 1348 but the 1548 is for the 500 f4
    I am considering selling my gimbral head (kirk king cobra) and buying the wimberly from steveS.
    Dave

5. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    I spent about 400 euro on a tripod+head setup and i'm happy with it. I went for the Manfrotto 475B tripod+ Manfrotto 393 gimbal head.

You can check some shots taken with the 500 F4 using that rig :
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=59231

6. Thanks for all the replies. That tripod you all recommend was way out of the budget the way I envisioned things. In addition, I initially looked at the Bogen gimbal and opted for the ballhead and sidekick so I could use the head for different uses.

But, that's why I asked for advice. I e-mailed Donzo98 and inquired about the tripod...

Thanks again for all the replies.

7. Nice pics Sandro! That head and the Bogen look to be one in the same; is that correct?

8. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
  9. Cherokee

Cherokee

Nov 27, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,
    I use the same set-up you outlined and have been very happy with it. I mount both the 500/F4 and the 200-400/F4 on it and, even in high winds, have never noticed any instability.
    You can get as many opinions as there are members, but it sounds as if your instincts are good.
    Robert

10. Why not just look at the Bogen Manfrotto 055MF3 tripod.. It is a magfiber.. magnesium carbon fiber tripod and I use mine all the time... Less expensive and runs around 299...

11. I ended up ordering a Gitzo 1325 and the Bogen Gimbal head.

Thanks for all the help and advice!